cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Newer Iphone, Want to Unlock old Phone to Sell or Give to Relative

satchmojo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Everyone,

I have just upgraded to a newer model I-phone, going from an I-phone 6 Plus to an I-phone XR. My I-phone 6 Plus settings/data have been successfully transferred to my I-phone XR. I will next place my Public Mobile sim from my I-phone 6 Plus into my I-phone XR and will be ready to go.

My question is how do I get my old I-phone 6 Plus "unlocked" so I can sell it or give it to a relative to use. I will obviously do a factory reset before selling it or giving it away, but also want it to be in an "unlocked" status before doing so.  How do I communicate to Public Mobile/Tellus that I need to have my old phone unlocked from their service? Also will my Public Mobile sim need to be in the old phone at the time I get Public Mobile/Tellus to unlock it? Appreciate assistance/feedback on getting this done.

Thank-you.

21 REPLIES 21

Vicky5187

How repair my old phone 

Vicky5187

How get newest Samsung phone

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@satchmojo 

Maybe you want to change your solution to @Olive_Oyl 's who supplied you with the info you needed to determine if the iPhone was unlocked once and for all. Of course once you mentioned that you had used it on two different network providers that also provided the answer as a locked phone will only work on the network it's locked to and not any other here or internationally.

And it looks like @Popeye was busy and sent the wife to the rescue....? They must of run out of cans of spinach.

@Olive_Oyl 

Of course when I mentioned getting the provider to contact Apple to unlock the phone that is what happens.....the provider themselves cannot unlock an iPhone the same way they can unlock Android phones. The owner of an iPhone cannot contact Apple to unlock a device they must use the middleman "the provider" to get their device unlocked.

If that info was shared in your original post we would have been able to answer this very quickly. If you bought it unlocked and you've used it on other carriers, that means it's unlocked. It doesn't re-lock itself. 

satchmojo

Appreciate having been advised by numerous responders to my query that a "No SIMs Restriction" on the phone meant an unlocked status. Thanks to one and all for their responses. 

satchmojo

Hi Olive_Oyl

Never implied that Apple unlocked I-phones. Knew that all along.  Did however appreciate finding out from the community at large that a "No Sims Restriction" message meant phone was "unlocked".  

satchmojo

Originally purchased my I-phone 6 from a reseller as an unlocked traded-in phone 2 years after its introduction/ launch in 2014. Over the past 7 years I've had the phone operating on the Virgin/Bell and then on he Public/Tellus Network. Even had it on the ROAM network when in the US for a months winter holiday. Anyhow phone currently shows as unlocked with "No SIM's Restriction" message.  Will now pass it on to relative even though no longer supported with software updates from Apple. Appreciate those in the community who took the time to respond to my original query. Thanks!     

satchmojo

Appreciate all the responses & feedback. Great support from the community at large.

Thanks,

satchmojo

Got "No SIM restrictions" message on old Iphone 6 plus. Can now give to relative as an "unlocked" Iphone.

Thanks Softech!

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Providers are required by regulation to unlock phones upon request and for no charge. But we still don't know what the OP's findings are as to whether it's in fact locked.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

There is still a chance PM won't be and no obligation  to unlock it

The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus were officially unveiled during a press event at the Flint Center for Performing Arts in Cupertino, California on September 9, 2014, and released on September 19, 2014; pre-orders began on September 12, 2014,

Of course, if it is a CPO phone purchased after December 1, 2017, then it is a different story

The OP said they will move their Public sim to the new phone. The whole context here is whether the phone is locked and if so then support can unlock it because it had been working here.

@Olive_Oyl wrote:

@softech 

PM Will unlock for you.  

@Olive_Oyl   your statement will only be true if OP got the iPhone from PM/Koodo/Telus. 

if not, then NO, PM will NOT unlock for you

Olive_Oyl

@softech 

PM Will unlock for you.  

Olive_Oyl

@satchmojo 

Hi.  Firstly Apple does NOT unlock iPhones. They sell them unlocked. You need to contact the originating carrier that sold it,  to unlock the phone. If it was Koodo or Telus....PM can unlock it for you. As mentioned go to settings, general, about and scroll down.... if "Carrier Lock" says "No Sim Restrictions" is is unlocked. If you do a full reset over iTunes on a computer, at the very end it will say Congratulations your iPhone is Unlocked "IF" it is....if no message it is carrier locked. 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

It may have come unlocked. And even if not, if your family member is on Telus, Koodo, or Public Mobile they won't need it unlocked anyway. 

If it is locked you could try your luck with Telus (or wherever you originally purchased it), but if I were you I wouldn't be spending too much time or money trying to figure this out for a phone that is already end of life.

@maximum_gato maybe with the help @Olive_Oyl and Pippete will come?

@satchmojo 

go to Settings > General > About.

Scroll down to locate the Network Provider Lock section. If the iPhone is unlocked, it should say that there is No SIM restrictions.z otherwise, it is locked 

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

You just need to open a can of spinach to get @Popeye to flex his muscles!

@satchmojo 

If the iPhone is locked then it's locked to the telus network so you will just need to contact customer support to request unlocking from Apple.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

How do you know it's locked? If you have access to a non-Telus-family working sim then put it in the phone. If it works fine without indicating anything about being locked then the phone is unlocked.

iphones also have a settings menu option that would tell whether the phone is locked. I'm not an Apple guy and don't remember where it is. @CountyDownIeUk would know but I haven't seen him in a while.

So if it is locked then you would need to contact support to get it unlocked.

Also remember to remove the device from your Apple ID.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@satchmojo   only the provider who sold you the iPhone can help to unlock it. 

So, iif you didn't buy the iPhone from PM/Koodo/Telus, then no, PM support can't help  😞   

Need Help? Let's chat.