cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two plans - one phone - adding a 2nd phone

Pondball
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

- I have one Public 4g plan with an iPhone 6+ (just upgraded a few months ago from 3g plan.

- I signed up for a 2nd Public plan (3g - limited use) over a month ago with hope of using the sim in an old iphone4 (emergency phone only). I switched to Public to save $60/mnth but also to port over the Bell number I wanted to keep

- after hours with Bell and Apple, neither will unlock my iPhone 4 so I have been paying for the right to keep the number only 

- to work around the park problem with the old iphone4 lockdown my solution had been to purchase another unlocked phone and use it with the new Public sim, however I have just been offered a (newer than my iPhone 6+) iPhone and would like to do the following.

- - move current 4g plan with older Public sim to the new phone so I can keep my contacts from the old phone

- - use the newer Public Mobile sim with my older iPhone 6+ and start afresh (as the emergency phone for my wife)

I know the newer PM SIM card works with the iPhone6+ because that was part of the troubleshooting process in determining the iPhone 4 was locked and that it was not a sim card issue.

- - - so, can my double switch work as explained above?

13 REPLIES 13

Pondball

Yup… good summation! 👍🏻 

Too many page turners these days.

Next challenge will be trying to get them to fix a land line we still need for business - and that since the pre Xmas storms has been on and off again, sounding like I’m holding a vacuum cleaner to the mouthpiece - rendering it completely useless at times.

I, too, completely moved away from Bell some years ago.

It has become a horrible conglomerate of folks who need other folks to make decisions who need other folks to make decisions... etc, etc, etc.

Glad this all worked out, @Pondball 

Pondball

Just to cap this thread off - Bell did nothing to assist me. At one time I had 5 different services with them. Because of their unwillingness to assist me with any of this, what should be a simple, task I will, at the earliest opportunity be weaning myself off their other services. Hope it was worth it, Bell!

Thanks, everyone here at PM, for your suggestions.

Final solution? We visited our grandkids at the start of January and I asked our SiL if he knew of any local shops with used, unlocked phones. Bless his ❤️! He disappeared, and two minutes later he emerged with his old iPhoneX - ten minutes later I had my 2nd PM account up and running!

@Pondball 

Good on you!

I also moved from Bell awhile back - can't stand them.  

Fortunately, carrier locking is all but a thing of the past, but if you wanted to make their lives difficult, you could tell them you're taking the "refusal of unlocking" stance they appear to be taking to the CCTS.

Here’s everything you need to know about Canada’s unlocking fee ban - CCTS (ccts-cprst.ca)

Pondball

Gotcha. And yup, I even informed Bell what they were doing was basically illegal and that the lack of support they had offered on my old phone, moving forward, would no doubt affect the other Bell services I also currently have.

We need more competition on Canada - and more reasonable prices! Guess that why I’m here at PublicMobile, eh!

@Pondball 

Think of the SIM card like double AA batteries.   

You can use them in any device that uses AA batteries to make it operate. 

The only consideration (network locking aside -- which is all but outlawed in Canada for years now) for switching devices is generally the SIM card size slot,  which either takes adapters to make the card smaller or larger. 

HALIMACS_0-1672461841178.png

HALIMACS_1-1672461858067.jpeg

Pondball

K. Sounds good.

I was worried I might lose either or both of my current phone numbers and truthfully didn’t want to, nor could afford to lose either.

as long as I can switch Card 1 to phone 2, then insert card 2 into phone 1 and all remains as it should I’ll be happy.

@Pondball   yes, beauty for sim card is it can easily move around

Your phone number is tied to your sim card which tied to your account/plan

So, yes, you can move the sim card as you mentioned above

Pondball

?? I’m not looking to use the iphone 4 any longer as it has been locked by bell and totally useless to me now. 

my question relates to the two current, active PM sim cards I have

and the iphone6+ (Call it phone 1) and one of the Pm SIM cards (call it card 1) that it works in -

plus, I will be getting a newer iPhone (call it phone 2) 

and want to use my other active SIM card (call it card 2) that is currently without  a phone 

But what I want is 

: to put card 2 in phone

and

:card 1 in phone 2

amd I need to retain the same numbers attributed to the active PM sim cards

I want to put the 

@Pondball   yes, then until the phone is unlocked , only sim cards from  Bell's family (Bell/Virgin/Lucky) will work on this phone

Pondball

Correct. Bell locked my previously unlocked iPhone 4 when I started a plan with them. They are refusing to unlock the phone so I’m working on other solutions that don’t include the iPhone 4 or working the Bell again.

Thus  the question about my two current PM SIM cards and the one existing phone and the soon to be phone

Pondball

no, basically I’ve given up on the iPhone 4. It was purchased unlocked from the apple store when it first came out. My first plan was with Bell and apparently they locked it. The IMEI is registered with Apple but they can’t unlock it. The IMEI is somehow not in the Bell database and they refuse to do anything, even thought the carrier is locked in as Bell. So, out goes the iPhone 4.

- currently PM 4g plan with iPhone 6+ works

- currently PM 3g plan with an old number I had successfully ported over to that plan from bell has no phone 

- I am wanting to use the 4g SIM card in the iPhone I have just been offered (iPhone 11 I think), and

- put the 3G SIM card in my older iPhone 6+ 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Pondball   you meant the old iPhone was locked to Bell (since you worked with Bell to try to unlock it)

if it is a Bell locked phone, your PM sim , new or old, would NOT work on the Bell locked phone

Need Help? Let's chat.