cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unregistered SIM

JinJuan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm setting up an emergency phone for my in laws.  Just so they can make calls if they need to.  They had an old phone from an old carrier that I put a public mobile SIM into.  It says unregistered SIM card.

This forum seems to be saying that I need to old SIM to transfer out of that service.  That SIM has been gone for years.  There is no way to get it.  How can I get the phone to work on the Public Mobile network without accessing the old SIM?

23 REPLIES 23

WOW  lucky you. So it was either a Telus or Koodo carrier locked phone perhaps. You can now ask PM to unlock for future use with another carrier. 

OR Try any other SIM in it that is NOT Koodo, Telus or PM. If it works it is unlocked. 

@JinJuan  Any time that’s what the community’s here for to help 🙂

JinJuan

Thanks!

@JinJuan  Hahahah ok great we happy you got it sorted out , and tell the in-laws welcome to public mobile 🙂

JinJuan

I pulled out the SIM card, put it back in, now it says Public Mobile, and I got messages.

Thanks so much everyone for helping me!  Problem seems to have been user can't put a sim card in right!

User error - as is probably the probable cause...

@JinJuan  So did you just activate this public mobile SIM card in the last day /two ? And you don’t have another phone to try it in at all friend or family phone to test SIM card ? … I’m starting to wonder if the SIM card need to be re provisioned if that’s the case you would need support help to do that 

Getting support / submit ticket

• Get support by starting a conversation with virtual Chat box /SIMon. Click here                 

Or while your already here and logged in the community

• you can send a private message   To CS_Agents by clicking here.

Watch for reply top of page to the

Right ( envelope image )

JinJuan

I reset the network settings. 

It sill says Unregistered SIM.  Phone number unknown.

JinJuan

It says:
Phone Number Unknown

Network: Unregistered SIM

Mobile Network state: Unknown

@JinJuan  Yes and as long as it’s not blacklisted , then yes they will do it for you , but I’d first try as @BKNS27 @suggested and reset  network setting and see if that helps 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

If you go into settings, about..,is there any old carrier information?

@JinJuan 

The Samsung A50 is a 2019 phone so it is unlocked if purchased in Canada. Just reset the network. Go to Settings>General Management>Reset>Reset Network.

You will need to enter your home wifi password.

JinJuan

I just call the company (for example Telus) and say please unlock this old phone from the drawer?  I wouldn't have thought that possible.

@JinJuan @You don’t need the SIM card to unlock it from my understanding. You just need to figure out where the phone originated from what carrier and have that carrier unlock it for you for free it’s done thru the IMEI as far as I know 

JinJuan

I updated it.

It's a Samsung Galaxy A50

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@JinJuan 

Check to see there is an OS update and reset the network.

What phone does your In-Law have?

JinJuan

If I can find out the old carrier, how do I get it unlocked?  What are the steps to take to do that?

JinJuan

I don't have another phone to try it in. 
I'm under the assumption that it is a locked phone to the previous carrier.  I saw another post saying that they had to dig through their garbage to find their old SIM.  In this case, the old SIM is years thrown out.  Is there a way to unlock a phone without a previous SIM?

@JinJuan  I’m thinking this phone could be locked and if it is you need to know what carrier it came from to have them unlock it if that’s the case 

also check 

Check

Check the Status of Your Device in Canada | https:/

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@JinJuan  Does the PM SIM card work in another phone you can try and see if services are working 

JinJuan

No.  It's an old phone from their drawer.  It's old.  Not sure who it was with, and it didn't have a SIM in it.  I wanted to use it for emergencies.

@JinJuan  Ok gotcha , is the phone locked to this old carrier , do you know where it came from (phone )

JinJuan

I bought a SIM from public mobile.  It is active under account status.

The phone says unregistered.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@JinJuan  So do you have a active account with a missing SIM card if so you need a new sim card and do a SIM card swap , otherwise you need a new SIM card and create a new account 

Need Help? Let's chat.