cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown outgoing SMS

BobS
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an iPhone and I've seem to be using a bit more data than I normally do.  I've been checking my usage history and I've noticed quite a few unknown outgoing SMS to a number I don't recognize 474663.  A lot of these occur in the middle of the night when I'm not even using my phone.  Does anyone have any idea what this is or what is causing this?  I don't have that number in my contacts, nor do I see any messages on my phone going out to that number.

I even checked my wife's usage history and she has that same number appear as well, just not as frequent as mine.

12 REPLIES 12

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BobS 

To be clear:

• SMS text messages do not use or require data to be sent/recieved.
  • MMS text messages require a data connection (enable mobile data) to be sent/recieved. At public mobile MMS does not use or require mobile data (plan or add on) on a user's account as all MMS is sent thru a separate server. However if you are roaming in the US a roaming data add on is required to send/recieve MMS and the data usage while minimal will count against the usage of the US data roaming add on.
  • iMessage requires a data connection either mobile data or wifi to be sent/recieved. iMessage does count against your plan or add on data usage.
  • If you were an Android user then having RCS (chat features) enabled requires the use of and counts against mobile plan or add on data usage.

@BobS   Both SMS and MMS WON'T consume data at all

SMS appears as  a separate entry on the usage history

For MMS, you need to enable mobile data to send and receive.  However, MMS usage does not count towards your data usage. 

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@BobS 

Very little if no data is used for text messages.   

BobS
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't know if SMS messages are typically tied into data usage.  If it is, I'm concerned about the messages.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

haha, I see OP more worry about the SMS text as well  🙂

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@BobS   if you also have actual concern with your  data usage, track it on your iPhone start today

what you need to do:

on your device : go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data, and tap Reset Statistics. 

on My Account, login using Incognito mode and make note of the usage now

Then you can compare the usage daily.    Please note that usage history for data are posted twice a day , one during the day and one around midnight.  Each data entry is the total usage for the past 12 hours of so. 

Oh, I thought they were more concerned about the strange text messages then data usage.

As per the title of the post.

@Quigley @I did and I was responding to the data usage bit op also asked about 

What are you talking about?  lol

Did you even read the original post?  lol

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @BobS   those are normal iOS generated message.  your iPhone sent it to register or update Facetime, iMessage.  it will stop eventually

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@BobS @As for your data usage 

Try again incognito mode/private mode or simply try refreshing the page on the yellow circle while signed in to public mobile

Handy1_0-1673283806746.jpeg

Refresh pagee.                                ^^^            

for up to date account info there are cache issues 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@BobS 

Those 474663 texts are iOS trying to send to register FaceTime or iMessage connection.  They are "safe", no concern

Need Help? Let's chat.