cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA Travel Voice Calling Not working. Data working OK

KZRider_76
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the$50 Canada US plan.

Today I went on a day trip to Port Huron MI USA. Roaming data works great. Voice calling does not. Number attempts to dial but hangs up immediately. Phone settings show roaming is allowed - data worked. Phone shows connected to LTE+ US carrier. 

My Phone Is a LG G8X ThinQ. It is in good working order. On return to Canada, voice calls work again. 

Please help!

PS my wife has the same plan and her phone worked for both data and voice calling.

Rob 519xxxxxxx

6 REPLIES 6

@Redranger I prefer to just set it to 4G preferred because then it can automatically switch between T-Mobile and AT&T depending on who has the better signal. But forcing it into T-Mobile also works.

Redranger

I can confirm Switching from auto network selection to manually select T-Mobile got my voice calls working. (In Georgia)

My Samsung s10+ would automatically connect to AT&T which worked for both data and SMS but I was unable to make and receive calls.

However I did notice that I had more frequent signal outages on my phone with T-mobile than I did with AT&T.  

Thanks for the advice post!

KZRider_76

You are correct and I will upgrade my device. Thank you. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@KZRider_76 

click this link, then scroll to the bottom to see the limited number of cellphones that PM has chosen to turn volte on...

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/volte

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@KZRider_76  For best results in the USA the phone needs to be VoLTE enabled.  There are no LGs on PM's VoLTE compatible list, perhaps test it by making a call with data turned on and wifi off to see if it drops to 3G.  If it does it isn't VoLTE enabled.  Your wife's phone may be, what phone is it?  The USA has done away with 3G so for a non-VoLTE phone you could need try and connect to T-mobile's 2G where available.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@KZRider_76 , I am guessing that your phone is not on the VoLTE whitelist which means phone calls in the US can be challenging.  Try connecting to T-Mobile network and if they happen to have 2G coverage in your area, you will be able to make phone calls.  Otherwise, calls are not going to work.  There is no more 3G coverage in the US.  

Need Help? Let's chat.