US roaming

glecky
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought US roaming but my calls disconnect after 2-3 minutes

11 REPLIES 11

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dabr 

If you have a foursome of snowbirds that travel in the US throughout the year then you could make this telus unlimited Canada US Roaming plan with 50GB of shareable 5G data work at $80 per person that can be lowered with bundling discounts. Even 4 couples could make it work....a lot cheaper then the now $12/day roam like home rate. ( It was $10/day a month ago...geesh!)

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/plans?cmp=aff_Rakuten_1536241&ranMID=47262&ranEAID=CAqD7bLWUPI&ran...

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@dabr wrote:

@esjliv   yeah, you'd think that's how it work but apparently it doesn't.  I think it's really disappointing that PM hasn't bothered to fix some of these long standing issues, although with the American carriers discontinuing 3G services, maybe it'll become a moot point if PM decides to no longer offer roaming altogether? 

@dabr  - you'd think Telus could often a 'travel SIM' option; so that, at least customers would still be using their services.

Buy the SIM card, they are making money from ya from the card and services they could provide.

But, oh well, must not be an interest in their marketing tool / bottom line bucket.

@darlicious wrote:

@esjliv 

Others have reported it to be 1 min and 53 seconds followed by 3 beeps and then you are disconnected. It's been a glitch as long as I have been here. Maybe if you read my spoiler for US Roaming Add ons you would have learned of this glitch before today?

Others have reported this 'time in use connection' then the call gets disconnected - while roaming? fair enough. 

Funny though, I get disconnected call glitches sometimes, but I ain't roaming; network issue 101.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv   yeah, you'd think that's how it work but apparently it doesn't.  I think it's really disappointing that PM hasn't bothered to fix some of these long standing issues, although with the American carriers discontinuing 3G services, maybe it'll become a moot point if PM decides to no longer offer roaming altogether? 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv 

Others have reported it to be 1 min and 53 seconds followed by 3 beeps and then you are disconnected. It's been a glitch as long as I have been here. Maybe if you read my spoiler for US Roaming Add ons you would have learned of this glitch before today?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@dabr wrote:

@esjliv   I think there's been a long standing glitch whereby having two roaming add-ons with the talk feature seems to create a conflict.  Not sure why it hasn't been fixed (like a few other important issues) by now though.

@dabr - yes, I am aware about that glitch 2 same addons on account glitch.

But OP said they get connected for 2-3 minutes before getting disconnected. I was not aware 'the glitch' reacted that way. I presumed services would not work at all. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv   I think there's been a long standing glitch whereby having two roaming add-ons with the talk feature seems to create a conflict.  Not sure why it hasn't been fixed (like a few other important issues) by now though.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

I have not heard before that having 2 consecutive roaming addons allows one to call and connect for a few minutes, that disconnects. But, who knows, maybe.

I do know I have experienced disconnected calls with Public Mobile and other mobile providers. Sometimes the troubleshooting @Dunkman mentions will correct it, or maybe also trying toggling into airplane mode, then back again.

Other times, it seems to be something lingers for a few hours. Ultimately, the network seems to correct itself with the troubleshooting mentioned.

Also, make sure data roaming is enabled in your phone settings. It must be, since you are getting at least connected...but just to be sure.

glecky
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

thank you I will look and then contact support

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@glecky 

Do you have 2 US Roaming add ons with a talk feature currently overlapping? This is what normally causes this issue. You will have to contact customer support to remove one of the add ons and credit your account.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@glecky 

Might be a connection issue.  Which carrier are you on right now? T mobile or AT&T?  Try to manually select the other carrier if possible.  

Here is a statement from PM:

mportant: As of February 22nd, 2022, some United States (U.S) carriers will begin turning down certain 3G/HSPA networks in the U.S. As a result, some customers using U.S. roaming add-ons may be impacted by differences in coverage or service quality (including 9-1-1 calls) when roaming in the U.S. This shutdown will not impact your service in Canada.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/us-roaming

A few basic troubleshooting advice:

reboot phone

network reset of phone.  

Need Help? Let's chat.