cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming

tanyaroswyn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anybody else have a useless time adding US roaming talk and text? I just paid for both for an urgent call to the bank and it was a waste of money - I ended up using Skype to call because my phone wouldn’t let me call a 1888 number in Canada from the US 

10 REPLIES 10

tanyaroswyn

@softech I didn’t even know it was possible to manually change the network, I’m gone from the US now but will try that if I’m ever in that situation again! 

tanyaroswyn

@esjliv @I don’t know if anybody can call it from the States on a different plan. I was at the airport and am gone from the States now, so good thing for Skype. I have a feeling you might be right though since the add-on did show up on my account. 

tanyaroswyn

@computergeek541 ive been able to call that number in Canada but it just wouldn’t work from the States.

tanyaroswyn

Thx @HALIMACS i did the two step process and it shows up on my add-ones but didn’t try rebooting my phone. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@tanyaroswyn  - do you know if this 1888 number in Canada is even available to call while outside of Canada?

Can someone else make the call successfully from the USA to this number?

I think most of these numbers are available within North America.

But I do know, some 1800 USA numbers I have tried to call from Canada to USA, in the past, have not worked (as they are for calling within USA only).

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@tanyaroswyn   just want to clarify, you are in US now and try to call back Canada?

If so, did you see the add on in your plan details page  (https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/plan-and-Add-ons/ChangePlanLandingPage/)  If you do not see the Roaming add-on there, then check if you have the money was in fact sitting as Available Fund and never used to finish the purchase of the add-on?

If you see the roaming add-on there, then try to change the Network selection to Manual and try to connect to AT&T or T-Mobile.  Try them both to see which one works better

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@tanyaroswyn 

Another person had issues recently calling 1-800- from the United States.  Can you call other regular Canada numbers?  US numbers?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Calling-1-800-numbers-from-usa/m-p/761554...

Glad that you were able to contact via Skype.  Or another option would have been to try call the actual local Canada number, instead of the 1 888 number.

@gpixel wrote:

@tanyaroswyn 

sorry but you purchased the wrong add-on. you needed the long distance add-on not the us roaming

I think that you may have read that wrong.  While a customer is in the U.S., a Public Mobile long distance add-on would not enable more outgoing calling destinations.

@tanyaroswyn 

I have a feeling that that Public Mobile's systems might consider toll free numbers as a different category of calling destination.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@tanyaroswyn 

Buying add ons is a two step process

First add funds. 

Then select add on.

You may have to select the US carrier from your network connections, & try rebooting your device after purchase. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

Oops.jpeg

Need Help? Let's chat.