cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US plan not working!! I've tried everything, HELP

Karen9555
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If anyone has a answer it would be great, but first let me run down what I have done over the past 3 weeks to try to get it to work.

My phone is a Samsung galaxy note 20. It is on the Lte network, I have tried automatically to connect, but no luck. I have manually choose AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and no luck.

It tells me my sim card is not compatible when I'm trying to connect manually.

I have been messaging with three different cs agents and have done all of their suggestions and still no luck!!

I personally think that the US call has not been put on my sim as everything else works, txt, email, internet while I'm over in the states.

Anyone have any suggestions to this dilemma?

The call feature is important incase I need to call as I travel alone.

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

Karen9555

Thank you so much for further explanation. 

I completely get it, now to decide to either keep my plan and forgo the phone call feature as I get txt, and internet and I can still call to the US from Canada.

Or get a new phone that is compatible with pm whitelist!! 

Finally an answer to the problem, you are best.

Thanks again

@Karen9555   VoLTE means Voice over LTE.  Public Mobile has enabled VoLTE for a limited list of phones (see the list here):

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte 

By the end of 2022 the US carriers required all customers to have switched to an accepted VoLTE phone if they didn't already have one and then the 3G networks were shut down.  A phone that can't do VoLTE needs to be able to fall back on 3G for voice calls, hence non VoLTE phones no longer work although there is some 2G remaining on T-Mobile. That too is also in the process of being shut down but there is no final date for that yet.  Even though a phone is technically able to do VoLTE and has a toggle in the settings, it needs to be an accepted phone by that carrier.  I've experienced this first hand with a VoLTE capable phone that was not accepted by the carrier (not a Telus group).  The customer service in that company tried manually adding the IMEI of my phone to the whitelist but it still didn't work. 

So three options I can think of for you, one is get a new phone that is on the PM VoLTE whitelist, find a carrier that accepts your phone for VoLTE, or since you have data working on your existing phone in the US then use a voip app but that will have a different phone number from your PM one.

Your PM line will have been enabled for VoLTE but not your phone.   Edited to add, it's not a problem in Canada because we still have 3G.

Karen9555

In other words, when I'm in Maine I go to 2g on t-mobile? Because I can get on to t-mobile when I'm there but can't call 

Karen9555

Can you explain this a little further please

@Karen9555   IMS not registered indicates the phone is not getting VoLTE.  So without 3G in the US you will have problems with voice calls unless you can get 2G on T-Mobile.  

Karen9555

I'm in Canada now, here is the status

1000006335.jpg

@Karen9555  There's no 3G anywhere in the US, there is some 2G with T-Mobile.  If you can check the IMS Registration it will tell us whether VoLTE is enabled (by PM, not just the phone).  Since you're in Canada you can also try turning off wifi, turning cellular data and making a phone call.  If the phone stays on LTE you're good, if it drops to 3G you'll have problems in the US.  The IMS Registration status can confirm one way or the other.

Karen9555

I'm not in the US now, but I haven't tried that suggestion only because I thought the US doesn't have 3g anymore, mabey I'll have to try that and see if it works.

I am going into Maine, mabey they are still on 3g?

@Karen9555  Can you navigate to sim card status in settings and see what it says under IMS Registration Status?

Can you click on Network Mode and pick LTE and then reboot? If that doesn't work, try 2G and reboot. But make sure you're on T-Mobile.

Karen9555

Thank you for your response to this matter, here is a snap shot of my phone

1000006333.jpg

True. But chatting with a local store may be faster and free. Less hassle. But if you're going to be in the US for a while, might as well. Amazon has a great return policy. Just make sure you do a factory reset a few times to clean any information on it that may have saved.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Karen9555   Your phone is a Galaxy Note 20 but not Note20 5G/Ultra 5G (HWB3& above)?  Only the latter is on the Public Mobile VoLTE enabled list.  If your phone is not VoLTE enabled then it can't do voice calls in the USA unless you can connect to T-Mobile's 2G network where it still exists.  That's because the USA has shut down 3G as of the end of 2022.  

Karen9555

I was thinking of getting a phone from Amazon and trying and then I can send it back.

That way I'll know if I need a new phone or not lol

OK. This is a long shot. Perhaps you can go into a cell phone store where you are. Tell them your situation and that a CS Agent suggested trying your SIM in a different phone to reprovision your SIM card. Ask if they could help. Once again, I know it's a long shot but worth a try. Do you know anyone where you are? A friend, co-worker, family member who has a cell phone you can borrow to try this? Worse case, can always purchase a cheap phone at Walmart or something. 

Karen9555

The cs agents have suggested that, but I don't have another phone.

Have you tried your SIM card in a different phone?

Karen9555

Thank you so much for your help in this matter, but I have tried everything you have suggested 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @Karen9555 

Go into your settings and turn off your 5G and choose 4G. Your main goal is to pick T-Mobile as that is the better of the two. I do this when I go to the US all the time. Here's a write up on how.

How to change Network Operators on Android

Find network operators by sliding your finger downwards from the top of the screen.

Chalupa_Batman_0-1711567346095.png

Press the settings icon.

Chalupa_Batman_1-1711567346054.png

Press Connections

Chalupa_Batman_2-1711567346067.png

Press Mobile Networks

Chalupa_Batman_3-1711567346041.png

Press Network operators

Chalupa_Batman_4-1711567346056.png

Press Select Manually and wait till your phone searches available networks.

Chalupa_Batman_5-1711567346025.png

Press the either AT&T or T-Mobile

Chalupa_Batman_6-1711567345994.png

Press the Home key to return to the home screen.

Chalupa_Batman_7-1711567346031.png

Now reboot and you should be ready to go!

Another thing, if you're set up on WiFi while there, check the app to confirm you either have a Can/US plan or have a US add on.

Created by Chalupa Batman

Karen9555

Everything you have suggested I have tried.

T-mobile accepts my sim card and allows me on the network, but I can't make calls.

I don't have 5g on my phone.

Mobile data is on.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Karen9555 

not Verizon. Just T-Mobile and AT&T

make sure you turn off 5G, use 4G only

turn on Mobile Data roaming (yes, you still need that)

if you still cannot access the networks, let us know if you see them on the network selection when you choose manual connect

Need Help? Let's chat.