cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US calling

ladybearbc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am on the basic plan - $25 - which has unlimited Canadian LD. 

But it also says I have 200 US minutes.

Now - is that 200 Each month - or just a total of 200 minutes?

Thank you

22 REPLIES 22

ladybearbc

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ladybearbc wrote:

I think I was looking in to textnow - but found out the only way I could operate on it was to let them have access to my contacts - which is not something I let any company do.

If that's a clue about how you use your technology then maybe you should be using a plain vanilla flip phone. The Android operating system is Google. Google harvests a crap load of data from everything it sees. If you're using a smartphone then you're exposed. But good luck doing anything mobile out in the wilds if you're locking down everything.

So all we can do is protect ourselves. Strong passwords for things that matter. Fake names where possible. I use prepaid payment cards on mobile so as not to expose any big time real credit card. etc

@ladybearbc your contact list is unique to your phone. You already  share it with PM. You can also deny TextNow access to it, and manually dial all numbers. 

If on an Android phone. You should also look backing up to a gmail account. If you lose your phone, or transfer to a new phone, you still have your  contacts.

ladybearbc

I think I was looking in to textnow - but found out the only way I could operate on it was to let them have access to my contacts - which is not something I let any company do.

@Anonymous 🙂

@Anonymous 

They will both call Chinese number if you have balance.

Hangouts was the chat by Google. Hangouts dialer was the dialer that was calling out of Gmail, they offered free calls to USA and Canada, then around 2010 they decided to charge and everybody stopped using it. Then they smartened up and went back to free USA and Canada, but only if you call from within USA or Canada, they charge if you are outside. Now it's an add-on for hangouts app.

It can also use your number as caller id so that people call your cell back or don't ignore call thinking it's spam.

TextNow is great and I use it to just to support, it does use a bit more resources than hangouts, but I can take it even on $15 plan. Recently I also noticed ads popping up, I believe this is happening after they started offering free calling using their sim in USA, while it was 10 advertisements were less aggressive. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kselmak wrote:

Pubic mobile sells long distance block of 400 minutes for $15. It's less than 4 cents per minute, also very affordable.

Auto-correct strikes again! 🙂

@Naepalm check out nonoh.net

For 10euro they give you 120 days of free calling (200 mins per week per ip or phone number) and after your 120 days are done is about 2c/min. When you top up your free days start again.

You can call in like with cards, you can use their app or you can use native sip dialer of your Android phone.

Public mobile sells long distance block of 400 minutes for $15. It's less than 4 cents per minute, also very affordable.

MMS to China is also unlimited and included in all new plans. Make sure your APN settings are correct as your data has to be on for mms

WhatsApp is a popular VoIP app.  Both the caller have to be using it but if the receiver in not online then you can leave them a message.

Hi @Naepalm

Most of VoIP services do offer calls to China for a fee. 

In your place I would probably check if there is a VoIP service in China that will offer unlimited local calling. You may not be able to sign up for the service while here but if you do have family/friends there you could ask them to open an account for you.

Here are the rates for textnow nd hangouts

https://www.textnow.com/international-calling 

https://voice.google.com/u/0/rates 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Naepalm wrote:

@totalUser I didn't even know of this service! I have a friend who makes calls to china. Would it work for that as well?

What? TextNow or Hangouts?

Some of these services are closed in themselves. ie. both parties need to be in the app. TextNow is not. I don't know about Hangouts. Have it. Never used it. Turns out TextNow is  Canadian so users are helping a Canadian app developer exist.

@Naepalm wrote:

@totalUser I didn't even know of this service! I have a friend who makes calls to china. Would it work for that as well?

PM has a $15 add-on that will allow calls to China as well....

400 International Long Distance minutes
Included countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.

@Naepalm wrote:

TextNow will make free calls / texts to North American numbers. If your friend in China has a US or Cdn number...then TextNow will work.

@BenjaminQC 

It does use more on wifi

I restrict background data

I make 1-2 of calls per week I'm not big talker

Family member uses hangouts dialer she talks more too

BenjaminQC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@totalUser I use Textnow too, but on wifi at home. 40 MB is for what usage? How much phone time? Thanks!

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @ladybearbc 

I use textnow, they give me few Canadian number with unlimited calling and texting to USA, UK and Canada. It consumes only about 40 mega of my data. Call quality is good too

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ladybearbc , you might want to check your payment history.  The 200 minute US calling add-on does not come with a plan.  It must be purchased separately.  Hopefully that is a purchase you wanted to make.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@ladybearbc wrote:

Thank you

Looks like you have got 200 US minutes until forever. Well actually until you use them up. From what I have read in the community many of these promotions last until you change your plan or use them up. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

That is for an add-on.  They roll over to your next 30 day cycle.and remain in your account until they are depleted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ladybearbc wrote:

Thank you

Total. Canadian add-ons stay on your account until consumed. Buy once, consume over time.

When I first started here in the pre-paid world, that was a big learning for me.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@ladybearbc the 200 minutes is one time add on and not monthly. However, it doesnt expire and carries over until used up.

Need Help? Let's chat.