cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US add-on for existing PM 3G account

todono
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi!  I have a 3G PM account, and will be travelling to the States (LA area).  Seems like US carriers have turned off 3G.  Will a US Roaming add-on allow me to use 4G networks down there?  (My phone is capable, just not sure about how the US roaming add-on works with my 3G PM plan )

7 REPLIES 7

@todono   The A52 is not on Public Mobile's VoLTE list but the list is not complete.  It starts with the A53.  If you want to test your phone for VoLTE then turn off wifi, turn on cellular data, and make a call.  If you usually see LTE at the top and it drops to 3G during a call then VoLTE is not enabled so in that case you would need to connect to T-Mobile's 2G network in the US.  If that's the case it might be worth noting that T-Mobile is planning to shut down their 2G on April 2 this year

Yup. I've done it. I was on the $15 3G plan and the $25 3G plan and was able to use my phone in the US.

https://deviceguides.vodafone.co.uk/samsung/galaxy-a52-5g-android-11-0/calls-and-contacts/turn-volte...

This should help. Yes it's for the UK but same thing.

It doesn't really matter what plan you're on here. It's the network you connect to down there. Depending on how they are set up in LA it could be on the 2G network or good chance you'll be on the 4G network. All really depends. Just print out that direction I gave for the Android part on how to connect to T-Mobile and you'll be set.

todono

Thank you!  So ... apologies if this seems dense... The US roaming plan can work (4G/LTE in LA, where I think they've turned off 3G) even though my PM base plan is 3G?

todono

It's a Samsung Galaxy A52 5G. I haven't specifically done anything to enable it for VoLTE, but it's a fairly recent phone, so I would guess it's capable?

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @todono 

Of course you can still use the US add on with a 3G plan. I've done it. Just make sure you purchase the package the day before and confirm it's purchased. Then when you are down in the LA you'll have to go into your network settings and turn off automatic and pick T-Mobile as the provider. Here's how.

iPhone - Settings - Network Settings - Mobile Data (make sure it's turned on) - then on same screen, Network Settings - turn off automatic and choose T-Mobile - Then reboot.

Android - Settings - Connections - Mobile Networks - Network Operators - Select Manually - Choose T-Mobile - Reboot phone

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@todono  What phone do you have, is it enabled for VoLTE?  

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You would have to scale down to 2G. You should be contacted to AT&T or T-Mobile. When you are in the states make sure roaming is on.

Need Help? Let's chat.