cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new phone

CAEC
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, my elderly mom has a digital home phone now with another provider. Can I get a cell phone and activate a new account with Public Mobile using her existing number?

9 REPLIES 9

CAEC

A SIM card came with the phone but PM says it’s invalid. It is a Telus SIM card and I called and had the phone unlocked but still there is nothing. I need to take the phone back I must have done something wrong. I have no clue. I’m new at setting phones up.  I’ll go back to where I bought it all this evening and get it sorted.

thanks for you comments! It answered some of my questions. 

hi @CAEC 

wishing her a a speedy recovery.

I think porting or new number either is fine.  

For new activation, since your mom is using a old style phone, you will need to download the PM app and run through the setup on your phone first (all activations need to be done using the app)

for the sim card, better to get it via Amazon for $5 and speedy delivery, or get it for $10 from a local Telus or Koodo store.  And remember to use your friend code for the activation to save $10

CAEC

Thanks for the info. That’s good to keep in mind. Maybe we will just go with a new number. It might be quicker. And no she’s not a customer of Public Mobile. 

CAEC

She lives with me but is in hospital for a time so needs a cell phone. It’s the best option. She only wants a dumb phone. Thanks for your concern. 

hi @CAEC 

is that for your mom line?

if she has a PM account already, just login My Account, go to Profile and click Transfer phone line and follow the steps

if she does not have a line yet, then just activate a new account.  The porting step is after payment

And remember, it takes up to 3 to 7 business days for porting from home phone line

eddieO
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@CAEC You will need to open a ticket through the Chatbot:
https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html
(and then type: Customer Support Agent)

Or, if you are having trouble with the Chatbot try sending a private message to: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437
(note: you will need to be logged into your Community account for this link to work)

Did you want to try posting your question here in the community? Many times we are able to provide answers much quicker than an agent (based on how busy they are), however we won't have actual access to your account

slusagm
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

For elderly, using a cell only line might not be a good idea. Also, the fact that PM is a self managed network, it might not be a good idea for elderly if you don't live with her.   I think a digital home phone is a better choice still 

CAEC

Can I talk with an agent please?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @CAEC 

likely yes, but you have to confirm using this link (this is a Koodo link but the result applies here)

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/checkSingle.do

Need Help? Let's chat.