cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data usage spiked after upgrading plan

DaniG
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I upgraded my plan yesterday early evening.  I checked on the data usage less than 24 hrs later and its at 14.67.  Is this even possible?  Chat bot tells me that is a lot of data.  Unfortunately I hadn't been tracking data separately.  I am now. 

Should I open a ticket? Any help appreciated. 

Thank you 

9 REPLIES 9

DaniG

@Void Perspective has got to be one of the most valuable bits of life. Thank you 

Void
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It may sound like a lot, but if you download at max speed continuously, it takes less than 33 minutes to exhaust the whole 60 GB bucket.

(60 × 1024 ^ 3) ÷ (250 ÷ 8 × 1024 ^ 2) ÷ 60 = 32.768 minutes

DaniG

Thanks for the help.  I made it 3 weeks on 75% of 40 GB using as a hotspot.  Upgraded to 60 GB.  I thought maybe I could avoid wireless at home.  This single night is telling me another story.  

Very possible. Sometimes the system doesn't always update till the new cycle. Best thing you can do is download the app, clear the cache and then check the data balance then. Should be darn accurate.

DaniG

@Phil_Adelphus @Chalupa_Batman I had already limited which apps could use data.  Looking back through data usage on my account since I joined, I've found two days that I used over one GB and the rest are in low MB range.  The app hadn't been updating data usage.  I read through online support and tried to access account through a few browsers and still nothing.  I got an email I was at 75% of my data so I upgraded.  Is it possible this is related and all my usage got moved to the new plan instead of the old?

Don't worry @DaniG  it happens. Also, go to the "Store" and make sure you turn off auto update as well. And while you're at home, set your phone to WiFi so it never uses your data while there. 

I have the XR as well.  I use it for my PM account and TN account. Love this phone!!

DaniG

@Chalupa_Batman thanks for the reply.  Its an Iphone XR and automatic updates are off.  I reset the phones cellular data used a few minutes ago.  Wish I'd done that sooner.    

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@DaniG  Also check individual app data usage.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

The data amount updates twice a day. There may have been a spike recently you didn't realize. You should go through your phone and make sure your auto updates aren't on as those can suck a lot of data. Depending on what phone you have, you can download a data monitor to see what apps are using the most data and can figure it out from there.

Need Help? Let's chat.