cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Texting

boutilis
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello. My plan resides in Ontario and includes unlimited International Text. Can someone confirm if this means I am able to text when I'm travelling within the US? Also, are there any options available to have text, calling and/or data in Portugal and Spain?

Thanks,

Steve

8 REPLIES 8

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@boutilis 

Your plan features are only for use while in Canada. US Roaming add ons are required for use of your pm service in the US. There are some workarounds. Here is info you need to know about US Roaming.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

Luckily Portugal especially has some of the cheapest local sim cards/plans in the world and they will allow easy roam to 30 other countries in the EU and in some cases the UK as well for no additional cost. Here are your options for your pm service when traveling outside of the US and Canada and now they work with a local sim card.

Spoiler
  1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.**Applies to rewards only does not affect points customers.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your voip number before you leave Canada.. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your voip number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your voip voicemail for all voicemail messages. Textnow or fongo are recommended free voip providers.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels!

More info on local sim cards for Portugal.....

https://www.traveltomtom.net/destinations/europe/portugal/prepaid-portugal-sim-card

SIM card plans depending on length of service and data amounts range from US$5/5GB/7 days to $20/30GB/30 Days. There are plenty of options depending on your needs. Stay--Safe!

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@boutilis wrote:

Hello. My plan resides in Ontario and includes unlimited International Text. Can someone confirm if this means I am able to text when I'm travelling within the US? Also, are there any options available to have text, calling and/or data in Portugal and Spain?

Unlimited texts from anywhere in Canada to anywhere in the world.

Unlimited texts from anywhere in the world to anywhere in Canada.

If you're outside Canada then you get no texts, aside from (perhaps) account-related notifications.

If you're in the USA then you can purchase a 10-day USA Roaming add-on to get texts.

If you're in any other country then you can't get any kind of service from Public Mobile.

boutilis
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks everyone for the speedy responses. This clarified things for me.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

For use in any country other than US or Canada...consider getting a free voip app such as TextNow. Using wifi, you can make/receive free calls to most any number in Canada and US. Text is free as well. You'll select a free Cdn number so friends in Canada can call you while you're in Spain.

Alternative is to get a local sim and cheap plan whilst abroad.

PM has no options for use outside of Canada or US.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

As per your plan.....that plan only works while in Canada. 

If in USA I have heard that you can receive texts only. Other wise you need a while in USA 10 day add on. 

Out of Canada or USA.....you need to find a suitable alternative:

ie a wifi based option 

ie a low cost prepaid plan that is suitable to your needs...often SIM cards are sold in vending machines at the destination air port. I would study  the purchase beforehand. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

NO. All Plan features are valid while you are in Canada only.

While in US you might be able to receive SMS but not to send. To send/receive SMS and calls you would need US add-on.

PM does not provide service outside of this continent at all.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@boutilis hi no there are no options for texting or calling or data while in portugal or spain, texting is for sending or receiving a text while in Canada , a us roaming package is needed if you are in the US

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@boutilis no, the unlimited international text just means you cam receive text from your overseas friends 

you need US roaming text addon to be able to text when you are in USA

Need Help? Let's chat.