cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming without voLTE activated on Telus network

pck2023
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Somehow my Huawei P20 Pro is not on Telus compatible voLTE list. However, I know my phone has voLTE when I was on other country's network. And I am sure when I am in the US roaming, my voLTE feature may appear.

Is my phone able to use the US Roaming add-on when travelling in the US?  Please advise.

5 REPLIES 5

pck2023
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you all for the information. Now signed up with the latest 5G 50 Gb Canada/US Plan for $35/month. I suppose I can then use my data to make phone calls in the US.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@pck2023 , your phone will only have 2G calling capability while in the US.  All US usage routes back to the Canadian network and so you are constrained by the lack of VoLTE connectivity at the Public Mobile end.  It is unfortunate how Telus has rolled out the VoLTE whitelist and to a lesser degree 5G.  

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

AT&T doesn't include it in their volte compatible list, T-mobile just says "most" phones since 2018.  These are the providers PM uses in the States so I don't think I would be confident it would work on volte there.  I also had a Huawei that was volte capable but it now is said not to work in the US but it was the model before yours.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @pck2023 

not every phone is VoLTE on PM or Telus

and whether you can use VoLTE depends on T-Mobile or AT&T's own VoLTE list

But prepare for the worst

so, if you need voice and VoLTE does not work, try to connect to T-Mobile, it has a 2G network, it might work. Or after you connected to T-Mobile change network mode to 2G and test

and the last resort , download VoIP app TextNow and use it to text and call for free 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Public is being severely restrictive on which devices can use volte.
When you say you were roaming in the states, was that with Public? When was that?
The simple answer to your question is, yes. But talk is a little more work without volte. Text and data should be fine.

Need Help? Let's chat.