cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Public Mobile suddenly so terrible? Why can't I update my credit card info?

TomGig
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Okay, so I got a new credit card and needed to change my credit card info for my phone, but the Public Mobile Website wouldn't allow me, giving me the message "Sorry, we’re not able to process this request at this time. Please try again later."

I get in touch with an agent, explaining the issue, and this is the message I receive: 

"Thank you for replying, my name is Alex and I will take over. The recommendations would be to try a clear cookies / cache in the settings of the browser / app, or try from a different browser / device, or to try a payment with a voucher if there's still an issue after trying the recommendation previously offered. Thank you, Alex."

I reply with:

"Okay, so I've tried paying on three different devices and none have worked, so it's not a cookie, cache, app, browser, or device issue. How do I pay with a voucher? And why do I need to pay with a voucher? I just need to change my credit card info so my bill can be paid automatically each month."

The reply I receive is:

"Thank you for replying. I understand, you don't have to pay now, it was a recommendation in case if you still have issues on your end, so the renewal date is not missed. You can find all the details about vouchers here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/purchase-a-voucher. Thank you, Alex"

I then reply:

"Today is the renewal date, so it's been missed; I did say that in the message you replied to. I also see that I need to go to a physical location to purchase a voucher, which I don't want to have to do and is obviously not the long-term solution here. So I don't understand what the problem is exactly. Is this a technical issue on Public Mobile's side? I see on the Community board that this happening to other people. How long can I expect this issue to continue? When can I just put in my credit card information?"

And then I get a final reply saying:

"Thank you for replying. Sadly there are no other recommendations, except for those previously offered. Thank you, Alex"

It seems like they just gave up on me. I've bought the voucher, but I really don't want to keep doing this. Why are they making it harder for me to pay them? This is a good way to lose a customer.

Any one have any advice on how to fix this payment issue?

8 REPLIES 8

@on2wheels that is very strange 🤔.  I thought it had expired and you were trying to update it. 

I never sign onto my account to check cause I know it won't expire for now. I only look at the statement when it comes. Getting 😱

glad you were successful 

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Sansanmy visa card had 2 years left before expiry and it still failed today when they tried taking payment out.

@Phil_AdelphusI hope you have a backup card ready, if they cancel your service like mine did today you will need a new payment method ready to go.

I had to use a Mastercard. It's a workaround but not a permanent solution for me.

TomGig

No, I had tried to do it yesterday too, before the renewal day, and it was the same issue.

I personally think that they don't know what the issue is and how to fix it. It's very embarrassing, actually.

I was taking comfort that my card still has 1 year to go before it expires, but now I'm wondering what I should loose it?

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@TomGig  Very frustrating, I hope they get it fixed before I have to update my credit card!  I wonder if trying to do it on the actual renewal day somehow confuses the system.

TomGig

Yea, I'm gonna have to. Don't they have an IT department? Why couldn't they just say "we'll get out IT people to fix the issue"?

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

I understand what you're are saying 🤔. Quite frustrating indeed.....

What to say...it's terrible....

Just keep trying each day untill successful 😕.

Need Help? Let's chat.