cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming in Kona, Big Island, Hawaii

simslim58
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, my wife and I purchased roaming add on on two phones while we were in Kona, Hawaii but it did not work. We turned on roaming and data but nothing.

1. Is there something else that we need to change on the phone to make it work?

2. Can the charges be refunded since it did not work?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@DomVi 

Reboot your phone and manually select at&t or T-Mobile.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Hi @DomVi did you check if Roaming Data is enabled on the phone?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

From this fellow customer and not an official Public Mobile response:

1. I would keep it on what you have if that's supposed to be T-Mobile 4G. You could try T-Mobile 3G. Make sure the device is using the relevant types.

2. Without certainty I would say roaming would use LTE 4G.

3. You can check and verify all of this with switching networks types. Under normal circumstances you would likely have your networks set to LTE/UMTS or WCDMA/GSM. Or 4G/3G/2G. Or the other ways around. But you could try setting it to just 3G and see how it works.

For calling, I wouldn't trust AT&T any longer. But it might still work too.

DomVi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

These are the available networks (today April 24th) available at Kona (Hawaii).

IMG_20220424_064340.jpg

 The roaming package specify 3G, but after trying all the available networks, non of them work for the data with the roaming booster plan of Public Mobile.

The data was working fine in Hilo (East Coast), and I still have plenty of Mb available according to my online profile.

My questions to Public Mobile:

1-what is the recommended network to choose from

2-Is the data roaming plan only for 3G.

3-Is it possible to confirm that the data is working on the 3G of your associated US company (voice and sms without data are working fine).

Thank you, best regards,

Mahalo 

@publicwhat 

Yes, 2 & 3g will be shutting down on December 31, 2025 in Canada to make room for 5g so old phones will not work.

Better start looking for a new phone with 4g/LTE or 5g phone.

Also, many websites will not work on older phones because the phones will not support the encryption on these websites.

publicwhat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am researching this and I think whats going on is the Original Poster may have a older phone. All US carriers have already started disabling 2G and 3G networks. that means if your phone doesnt support voLTE your fully screwed you wont be able to connect onto any network. No Data, No Text, No Voice

Anonymous
Not applicable

@simslim58 

For US Roaming 10 day packages
Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20
Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15
Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8
Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8
U.S. Data Only 10 day packages
250MB = $10
500MB = $15
1GB = $20

sign in to Self-Serve, to review your account, if you found at Available Funds: $$

Try To Purchase Add-Ons Using Your Self-Serve Account

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re off to the races!
  5. after you Add-on you have to do Rebooting your phone

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Overview Of Add-Ons visit Here link..

and try to manually select Network,

if you need to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, and Explain your issue to 
them can solve your issue, they are nice Service Team they will help you 100%.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,and Submit a Ticket,

Spoiler
  • Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,Click Here link,to get started. Type,, Ticket ,, Click ,, Contact Us ,, Select your issue ,,
    Click here to submit a ticket↗↗.

• or you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link,
  • please include in your message,
  • phone number,
  • account 4 digit pin,
  • Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST
    • Note: For public mobile No Support by phone call or Email.. only by CS_Agentprivate message..

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck..

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@simslim58 Did you try to connect to AT&T or T-Mobile? Go to your Network selection and manually select one of the two.  If one does not work, try another one.   See which one work better.

Also, make sure Allow Roaming is enabled

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@simslim58 wrote:

Hi, my wife and I purchased roaming add on on two phones while we were in Kona, Hawaii but it did not work. We turned on roaming and data but nothing.

1. Is there something else that we need to change on the phone to make it work?

2. Can the charges be refunded since it did not work?

Thanks

@simslim58  - it you do not see the addon listed in your overview accounts, then step 2 was likely missed when trying to add them.

1-First you need to add the $ to your account and

2-then add the add-on to your account.

*You can make the purchase via self serve account or by calling 611 on your phone.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/m-p/198974

In this case, if the $s are still sitting in your Available Funds area on your Self Serve account, then just leave it there. These funds will be used first on your future renewals of you plan.

IF you DO see the Roaming addon listed, then it is still within the 10 days from when you purchased it, otherwise, it would not even show listed.

A refund, in this case, may or may not be given. I would not keep your hopes up.

Two was to contact CSA here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/contact-a-moderator

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Was it a first time add-on purchase or subsequent purchase?

If it was first time then check your funds are in your available funds or they are being deducted after the purchase, Do you have this add-on applied to your account, check in my account plan details tab.

If it was subsequent purchase then it should be 24 hours after the previous add-on expires. 

If both the things were in line and still it didnt work then contact support agents and create a ticket.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@simslim58 

Have you rebooted your phones? Try manually selected at&t or T-Mobile?

Log into your account. Do you see the US Roaming add on(s) listed on your overview page and your usage page? Or do you see the funds you added to your account in your available funds?

You have to top up your account first and then select, confirm and submit your purchase of the add ons. Its easy to think you chose the add on and then bought it but if the funds are not already in your balance before you select the add on then all you have actually done is topped up your account balance.

Need Help? Let's chat.