cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming able to text but not receiving or make calls?

jackson5240
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My wife purchased the US roaming package talk text and data 3 days ago.  It was working great for the first day however she now is unable to send or receive calls.  She is able to to text though.  Any ideas what might be causing this.  She is in an area that has coverage according to the map.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

7 REPLIES 7

jackson5240

Just an FYI

The outage started as soon as she went into Ohio.  As soon as she arrived into Kentucky she was able to make calls again.  Of note is that she was driving and unable to manually select T-mobile as the network.  So I cannot say either way if this would have solved the problem.  I think it probably would have solved it though.

Thanks for all of the responses to my question.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I had experienced 2G in different places. One place would drop automatically. Another place I had to manually go to 2G. Can you manually set 2G on the phone? It will do talk and text. I'm still not sure about data. Then go back to LTE when you need cell data.

But still, 2G coverage is spotty.

@jackson5240 wrote:

It's a Moto G Fast.

Use this VoLTE compatibility checker to confirm whether the phone is on the whitelist.

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

jackson5240

It's a Moto G Fast.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jackson5240 , what phone model are you using?  Depending on the VoLTE status of your account and the phone compatibility, you might be experiencing the spotty nature of 2G coverage and its impact on the calling feature.  One of my accounts that is VoLTE enabled is having no calling issues throughout the US west coast at the moment.  

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@jackson5240 wrote:

My wife purchased the US roaming package talk text and data 3 days ago.  It was working great for the first day however she now is unable to send or receive calls.  She is able to to text though.  Any ideas what might be causing this.  She is in an area that has coverage according to the map.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Try manually connect to T Mobile if phone doesn't automatically connect to T Mobile. Try reboot the phone.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Not much you can do with US add-ons...

Reboot phone - turn off, wait a bit, turn on.

PM will have T-mobile 2G network for US talk. Try to manually connect to T-mobile.

Roaming is for Data only. Voice and SMS text will still work.

Data will work on LTE, but will switch over to 2G to make a call.

However, the quality of service will vary depending on the different coverage areas when roaming in the USA.

Need Help? Let's chat.