cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming - Unlimited Talk incoming call not working

Thousandstock
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have US Roaming - Unlimited Talk (10-day) add-on and i'm in the U.S. right now. I can see T-Mobile on my phone. Outbound calls to US numbers work but incoming calls don't. They just go to my voice mail. I don't know why. Is there anything I missed? I thought it should just work both ways.

Thanks!

23 REPLIES 23

Thousandstock

Thanks for your help everyone. It's working now. So happy we have such a great community. 

Thousandstock

@softech Thanks for your suggestion. I looked at Preferred Network type and it was on 2G/3G/4G automatic. The other two choices are 2G/3G automatic and 2G only. After I changed to 2G/3G automatic, I can receive incoming calls. Outgoing also works. That's great! I also tried 2G only but none of them works. So looks like 2G/3G automatic is the choice for my device. I don't know why 2G/3G/4G automatic doesn't work for incoming call. But it's good that it works on 2G/3G. 

Thanks!

@will13am wrote:

@Timer wrote:

@will13am 

i see canada for technology is leat.

We are in the stone age.  If there is one thing that you finger point at is Public Mobile not having VoLTE.  

Yes, PM is tier 3 provider, honest, we don't need all the fancy features here (we are going with price here than features)   But at this point, VoLTE is kinda a necessity now

@will13am 

i agree with you, soon they will come, no choice them have.

do you see how many customers are moving abroad,

from the bottom of my heart i feel so sad that for PM is not doing like Koodo, and them group from Telus. Something no one will understand.

@Timer wrote:

@will13am 

We are in the stone age.  If there is one thing that you finger point at is Public Mobile not having VoLTE.  Had that been available by now, we would not be having this long winded discussion.  Canadian carriers seem to think they can monetize technological advancements by holding it back from some customers.  It is somewhat counter productive.  

@will13am 

@computergeek541 

so now for U.S add-ons form PM is will working just at T-Mobile, for 2G for vocie,

and for AT&T 3G shutdown date on February 2022,so no more will be working.

That's how technology works.  The problem with maintaining old networks is lack of parts.  When the rest of the world has shed the latency networks and suppliers don't see much of a market for old hardware, Canada will have to follow. 

@Timer wrote:

@computergeek541 

how won't work on the AT&T network for Public Mobile customers,, then just T-Mobile will be working for add-ons and why at website they put it for AT&T.

You said yourself that AT&T doesn't have a 2g network.  With decommissioning of 3g on both AT&T and T-Mobile, 2g on T-Mobile for vocie is the only feaisble option. VoLTE isn't available.

You are partially correct.  Only T-Mobile will support the US calling add-on.  Data and text should with with AT&T or T-Mobile.

I believe Google voice will allow any US number assigned by a US carrier, no VoIP app.  I got my Google voice numbers set up long ago using the hotel phone.  It's a one time inconvenience with long lasting benefits.  For many years, I was able to do dial around using the Google voice number.  I got free calls to US as a result.

@computergeek541 

how won't work on the AT&T network for Public Mobile customers,, then just T-Mobile will be working for add-ons and why at website they put it for AT&T.

@Timer wrote:

@will13am 

yeah AT&T not have a 2G network, just T-Mobile has 2G  has limited coverage.

Yes, that'st correct, so having the customer manuallly select the AT&T network isn't going to help with a an issue with phone calls because phone calls won't work on the AT&T network for Public Mobile customers.

@will13am 

i know, and in canada in 2025 is will be end the 3G, they have to do everywhere for 5G, and also give to each person free gift for one brand device. do you know is will be coming 6G soon in those country has new technology like in canada we live in 2022 but those country them live in 2022 but they have technology like them living in 2050.

@will13am wrote:

Therein lies the problem with using calling in the US.  All 3G networks have been decommissioned.  It's a little bit of work but it is possible to get a Google voice number while in the US.  With that calls and text are possible on a data connection.  

@will13am 

The trickiest part for Google voice is that you need a US number to validate.  

do you know if Google will take numbers from  prepaid accounts?

Therein lies the problem with using calling in the US.  All 3G networks have been decommissioned.  It's a little bit of work but it is possible to get a Google voice number while in the US.  With that calls and text are possible on a data connection.  

@will13am 

yeah AT&T not have a 2G network, just T-Mobile has 2G  has limited coverage.

I don't believe AT&T has a 2G network.  The only way to do calling in the US is to be on T-Mobile 2G network which likely has limited coverage.  I came back from the US a couple of weeks ago and I purposely didn't buy a calling plan for the reason that calling could potentially be iffy.  I used data to make google voice calls.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Thousandstock  that is good on outbound calls.

Do you have any do not disturb setting accidently turned on?

Or, how about any call forwarding features that may have been enabled?

Or, check that your phone is not set up to access callers from only those in your contact list. If so, these will go to voicemail. So change your settings in your calling app, or add these callers to your contact lists.

@Thousandstock   and if it works on T-Mobile, I wouldn't take the suggestion for testing it on AT&T. 

AT&T started decommissioning  of 3G earlier and it has likely completed the 3G decommissioning by now, or left with very few 3G network active.  I would let it stay with T-Mobile as it has a 2G network for your voice and possibly a larger leftover 3G network. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Thousandstock   No, you have done everything correctly, i have to say.  You have outbound calls, so, you are connected to either TMobile's 3G or 2G

I am not sure I want to test it, but if you like you can try to change the Preferred Network type to 3G ONLY or GSM Only and see if you can make outgoing calls and receive incoming. 

But honest, since it is already working outgoing, It could also be the 2G or 3G signal wasn't too strong, and when incoming calls, it waited a bit and decide not to wait to find you and so the calls routed to your VM.  You can also wait and try your incoming calls when you are in a different location from where you are now.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Thousandstock , I wonder if the issue is related to calls only working on the 2G network.  Do you have your phone set on a preferred network type so that it can switch as needed to take a call?

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@Thousandstock 

select also for  AT&T

and rebooting device.

Need Help? Let's chat.