cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE Plan Only Works on 3G

Bandrubber
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Has anyone else had an LTE plan since the 2016 Fall deal that now only works when the phone is set to 3G? 

13 REPLIES 13

@softech wrote:

which ever plan you got, you still should be able to access LTE network, just that with LTE , the speed is cappted at 3Mpbs but you still should be able to access the LTE network

I just worry, it is your phone.  Try to put your PM sim in another phone and test it out.  Again, you should still be able to use the LTE network even you are on 3G plan

In the first post, the customer stated that the plan is the Fall Promo 2016 plan.  This plan did not have a speed throttle on it.

@Bandrubber wrote:

I can no longer make successful calls on LTE anywhere, I can when I switch to 3G though. Customer Service has claimed I'm on a 3G plan... which isn't true since I signed up for LTE and have only had this issue since April (which no one yet has been able to help me solve). 

As for no longer being able to make calls on LTE, please be aware that Public Mobile has never allowed this. Whenver making or receiving a phone call, your phone would switch over to the HSPA network.  In this sense when it comes to this matter, nothing has changed.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bandrubber wrote:

Network Selection is set to automatic, but the agent had told me I need to change Voice & Data under Cellular Data Options (iPhone X) to 3G for it to work. 

Set to 3G/LTE to automatic switching and restart your iPhone X and try calling again.

If you are at a location with weak 3G signal is not strong enough, your phone may take longer to switch to or lock on to the 3G signal fast enough.  This may be the reason why CSA asked you to set your phone to 3G only for your call.  I would switch it back auto after the call.  To rule out any hardware issue with your phone, test your PM SIM card on a known working phone.

Bandrubber

Thank you, this is the plan I am on too. Super strange then that I can only make calls when it's actually set to 3G and even stranger that this only started being an issue starting in April. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Bandrubber , all the Public Mobile plans are technically LTE based plans.  Even with the roll out of 3G speed plans, the data runs on both LTE and 3G, typically better on LTE due to better latency.  Some customers have claimed 3G to have better performance due to no speed throttling.  It is quite YMMV.  I have never had good luck forcing the phone onto 3G.  My current phone is 5G capable and I leave it on 5G preferred and have actually connected to 5G a few times.  I am on the 2016 fall promo plan.

Bandrubber

Network Selection is set to automatic, but the agent had told me I need to change Voice & Data under Cellular Data Options (iPhone X) to 3G for it to work. 

@Bandrubber wrote:

Thank you for the help. On LTE, I can use data fast, but on 3G it takes forever for anything to load. On 3G I can make calls, but on LTE, I cannot. It's very odd! 

@Bandrubber   Yes, PM uses 

LTE: for data and text

3G: for voice  (data and text will also work )

But you only need to set your phone's Preferred network type to Automatic or LTE/WCDMA/GSM or 4G/3G/2G.  PM will select the network accordingly   

So, if you leave it in Automatic or LTE/WCDMA/GSM or 4G/3G/2G, is everything working?  like Data is fast and voice also works?

Bandrubber

Thank you for the help. On LTE, I can use data fast, but on 3G it takes forever for anything to load. On 3G I can make calls, but on LTE, I cannot. It's very odd! The last agent I connected with said I am only supposed to be on 3G, which makes no sense since I've always used LTE, I've submitted a ticket since then and have been fully ignored. 

@Bandrubber wrote:

I can no longer make successful calls on LTE anywhere, I can when I switch to 3G though. Customer Service has claimed I'm on a 3G plan... which isn't true since I signed up for LTE and have only had this issue since April (which no one yet has been able to help me solve). 

@Bandrubber  What kind of phone do you have? brand and model?

which ever plan you got, you still should be able to access LTE network, just that with LTE , the speed is cappted at 3Mpbs but you still should be able to access the LTE network

I just worry, it is your phone.  Try to put your PM sim in another phone and test it out.  Again, you should still be able to use the LTE network even you are on 3G plan

Contact the CSA and ask to have your concern escalated to senior CSA.

added...btw, where are you located ?

Bandrubber

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Had my plan since 2017...works fine out west in BC

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Bandrubber 

When it is left at LTE, does it not connected at all? 

It could be just a network issue in your area, did you try to connect in another area? Try couple different areas away from your current location.

(and you changed your preferred network from 3G Only to 4G/3G/2G or LTE/WDMA/GSM or Automatic ?)

Need Help? Let's chat.