cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Data add-on: 3G or 4G?

dlanced2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does the data on the US Roam-Talk-Txt 3 GB (15 day) add-on use 4G or 3G networks? There are warnings in the Public add-on documentation that 3G networks will (probably) no longer work, but there's no clarity over what network the add-on actually uses now. So how can I know whether the add-on will actually work?

11 REPLIES 11

dlanced2

The last time I took this trip (through western NY, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey) - using a different roaming service - I had T-Mobile all the way. So that's good news.

I just tried (with WiFi turned off) and the call remained on 4G!

@dlanced2   Unfortunately not all VoLTE capable phones are enabled for it by their carriers, I found that out the hard way with my previous phone on another carrier.  You can try it but don't be surprised if it doesn't work!  You can test it while you're in Canada - turn off wifi and make a phone call.  If it drops to 3G in the status bar at the top you're out of luck. 

eddieO
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dlanced2 my wife's Galaxy S10+ is in the same situation, the specs show that it supports VoLTE but it's not on PM's whitelist and when she was in Florida she was not able to make or receive calls through AT&T although texts and data did work. T-Mobile worked for all features because she was able to connect to their 2G

Thanks. I noticed that the A11 wasn't on the Public list, but GPT (and other sources) claimed that VoLTE was enabled for the phone, so I hoped for the best.

But I guess that might have been optimisitic.

@dlanced2  The Galaxy A11 is not on Public Mobile's VoLTE approved list here

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte 

So you will likely have to connect to T-Mobile's 2G network for voice calls (data and text should still work though) or use a free voip app like Fongo or TextNow for phone calls.

dlanced2

Yup. My phone (Samsung Galaxy A11) is compatible. 

I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks!

Wayworn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

4G or 5G

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@dlanced2

the US has shut down their 3G for talk in US. You now need to have a volte enabled phone that is on the PM volte whitelist to have best talkability in US.

You 3G, 4G and LTE plan will work in US.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@dlanced2 

3G network has been decommissioned in the USA.  So while roaming, Public mobile customers will get LTE/4G network and in some areas 5G network.  

Public mobile uses T mobile, AT&T and Verizon networks.  

One potential issues with the lack of 3G network is voice calling.  Need to have a VoLTE compatible phone with Public mobile to have reliable talk service while roaming in the United States.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/volte

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@dlanced2 

Since the decommission of 3G in the USA. You can use 4G/LTE and 2G (T-Mobile) but enable Roaming, VoLTE (voice over LTE) and manually connect to AT&T or T-Mobile.

Add-on is working if your phone is working.

Need Help? Let's chat.