UK roaming

Bets
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I get uk/Scotland data roaming...going on a w wk trip

5 REPLIES 5

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Bets 

My sister lives in the UK and she recommended I can either pick up a local pay as you go card to many of their cellular companies. That way you can call local numbers. OR... and this option I like better cause I'm cheap! She says free WiFi there is everywhere. If you want to call local numbers, research VOIP apps for your Apple/Android phone. If you want to call back to Canada for free, download 2 VOIP apps. Fongo and TextNow.  Fongo is free calling but is $2.79 for texting for a month. TextNow is free calling and texting but has annoying ads. I haven't tried the TextNow yet but will be next week. If you download Fongo and pick a local number, I'm pretty sure you can just forward your PM number to it and accept calls via WiFi down there. Untested by theoretically that should work. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@Luddite , one of the oracles here can hook you up with a UK service. I have a spare sim from the service he uses that I could give you if you're in the Okanagan area. He's very helpful.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Bets 

if your phone support eSIM, you can also get travel eSIM, they are reasonably priced and would be best in this situation

SteveG1986
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have used three.co.uk the past few times I've been to the UK. You can either plan where to pick one up when you arrive or you can get SIM card off Amazon ahead of time.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Bets 

The only option is to purchase a local SIM because PM only have Roaming plans for USA.

Check SIM while in UK/Scotland but also check for SIMs on Amazon.

Need Help? Let's chat.