cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typical or Average Data Usage - Apparently I have enough for a trip

bashley
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks again with double thumbs-up to folks who answered my previous questions about pre-arranging data Add-Ons (no need), and the status of my "Remaining Data" (4gb should be plenty). 

I figured I'd follow-up with a new post with a more general question, about what might be considered average or typical data usage given a little information on how I might be accessing it. 

Data I'd probably want to access during my 10-day trip to Toronto:

1) Weather, daily or twice per day

2) Google maps, maybe once or twice per day

3) Google search 3-5 times per day

4) Texting or emailing photos back home 2 or 3 times during the trip

5) Website visits 30-45 min per day 

6) Tickets (airline, Blue Jays, National Bank Open (tennis)

No games, no video chats, no meetings, no Netflix,  

Anyone care to "guesstimate" at what pace I'd be depleting my banked 4gb of data?  I ask to see if it might be wise to buy a "cushion" of extra data.  As I understand it, whatever I might have left over wouldn't expire anyhoo? 

Comments very much appreciated! 

bob

PEI

14 REPLIES 14

@hairbag1 wrote:

Just something to think about while standing in line at Rogers Center waiting for your $10 cup 'o beer !!  😎

@hairbag1   Are you the one right at the cashier now?  can you order mine as well , I don't want to wait the long line... LoL

@bashley wrote:

Hey muchos gracias for the follow-up tips, @hairbag1 . Good to know that in the event I do squander all my data room, it'll just stop, no shocking bills later.  I might only have the $15/mos plan but I usually keep my Self-Serve prepayments anywhere from $50-$100 so that I'm always a few months ahead of the game.  And yeah, I'll consider adding the $5/500 minutes of Canada-wide calling add-on.   

Something else to consider...if you were to leave PM for another cell network, you could have a hard time getting a refund for your $50-$100 that you have on account. At the least, it'll take several weeks / months to get refunded.

Best practice is to have a valid credit card on file and account set to Autopay. As long as you still get the old Rewards program you'll get the Autopay Reward of $2, whenever your plan renewal occurs...reducing your $15 plan to $13 + taxes. You can even still manually pay if you want...you'll still get the Autopay Reward as long as you're set up with Autopay.

Just something to think about while standing in line at Rogers Center waiting for your $10 cup 'o beer !!  😎

bashley

Hey muchos gracias for the follow-up tips, @hairbag1 . Good to know that in the event I do squander all my data room, it'll just stop, no shocking bills later.  I might only have the $15/mos plan but I usually keep my Self-Serve prepayments anywhere from $50-$100 so that I'm always a few months ahead of the game.  And yeah, I'll consider adding the $5/500 minutes of Canada-wide calling add-on.   

@bashley....something to remember; if you do run outta data on your travels, your data will just stop. You won't be charged anything unless you buy a data add-on. That's the beauty of prepay...no billing later on.

Also, as a user of the $15 plan, consider getting the $5 / 500 minutes of Canada wide calling add-on. If you were to run outta calling minutes before next renewal...the add-on minutes will kick-in until renewal. Any unused add-on minutes will just roll over until you do use them up...even if that takes several months or more.

bashley

Thanks so much @hairbag1 for registering your voice as part of the chorus singing that I already have plenty of data room, with hopes, as you suggest, getting "home with data to spare".  

Ah, yes, music streaming. You're right I didn't mention that data hog, but thanks for the reminder.  And no, no music for me on the phone! 

bob

PEI

bashley

You're absolutely bang on, @iliketotalk !!  I am cautious, I suppose having heard or read chilling  data horror stories about careless travelers naively gobbling up data on trips like there was no tomorrow. Even here in the community forum, I've read a few posts by people having exasperating issues with data Add-Ons or not knowing how to manage them.  I want to go in eyes wide open, understanding the basics of Add-Ons billing, usage, the cautions, the ongoing status BEFORE I actually need to use them. 

As the Boy Scouts shout out, BE PREPARED! 

Yeah, I hope the Blue Jays pitching sees better days very soon.  I'm going to a game with the Jays vs the Guardian, and it happens to be Vlad Guererro Jr. Bobblehead Day!  So, even if the pitching still ain't the greatest Vladdy with the help of all 15,000 of those voodoo bobbleheads, will knock one, two, or even three over the outfield walls.  Where my seats are, halfway between home plate and first, the best I can hope for is a foul ball. If that happens, watch me on TV as I catch it in my popcorn box!  hehe

Thanks for the extra boost in confidence that I ought to have lots of data room now for my ten day trip.  

bob

PEI

bashley

Hey @softech you are gem for taking time and effort to post awesome, illustrated advice on keeping track of data myself. 

Did you write that parable about instead giving a man a fish, teach him how to fish?  Sounds familiar!  hehe

Yes, I'm an Android user.. 

Advice much appreciated! 

bob

PEI 

bashley

Many thanks, Your Worship, Mayor @RossN ...once again!  Plus the tip to update google maps for Toronto.  

bashley

Thanks for the answer to my query about typical data usage, @MrSpock.  And the tip to disable updates. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@bashley....

you'll likely get home with data to spare. Downloading movies or streaming music will eat into data considerably...but since you didn't mention those, you shouldn't need any more for your trip. Enjoy those Jays games.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@bashley hello just reading your posts you are a cautious person lol you seem like you have it figured out pretty well,that 4 gigabytes will last you your 10 days easily with the usage you mentioned use wifi when you are able , airport etc. go jays go I hope they get some pitching before you go geez!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@bashley   the best way to find out the usage is to keep track it yourself

Are you on Android?  If so, what you can do is to check the Mobile Usage page.  

E-MobileData.png

What you can do is to change the "Start billing cycle on" date to , let say today 4th, then you can do the activity for a day or two.  You can tell tell clearly how much used in total and how much each app used

if you are using iPhone, you can do the same by going to the Cellular Usage page and RESET the counter today.  Then similarly go through your exercise for a day or two and check the total usage and the usage for each app

E-iPhone_Data.png

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@bashley yes netflix bad videos bad you should disable any apps for updates while on data update google maps for Toronto and any other places you may be spending time in while you are on wifi 

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bashley hi the key words there are no netflix no videos,for all the other things you mentioned you will be fine with your 4 gigs just check in your apps that data is disabled for updates  😀

Need Help? Let's chat.