cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make a 1800 call

henderjl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have Canada-wide Talk and can't make a 1-800 number.  The voice tells me that I don't have Talk.

7 REPLIES 7

@sophiem- This is a recent oddball thing. Somebody a while ago was trying to call a tollfree number that is supposed to go to a Mexico hotel. Same thing. I tried a Riu in Cancun and had the same problem. I think it might have to do with the way subscribers can have a "local" tollfree number but it connects to the subscriber somewhere else. A virtual kind of thing.

I went through a bit of effort with the support people who also sent it up to a technical department. We had a bit of back and forth and for one reason or another the effort lost steam and was put aside.

Then for me more recently I tried to call an RBC tollfree on the back of a card. Same thing. I haven't proceeded to complain about it. But something's odd with this.

Contact the support people and they might connect you with the technical people and they can try to figure it out. Let us know how you make out.

I found the Riu number. 1-866-845-3765. I get an 8UV1 or something. I call it with TextNow and it's fine.

But trying the RBC seems to work. So maybe that was a certain circumstance.

@sophiem   Is that a usual number that you called before without trouble or a new one?

Try to reboot your phone once and see if it works

And if you don't have another landline around to test, try to download and setup a VoIP app like TextNow and Fongo, you can try to make 1800 # for free too using the VoIP app

sophiem
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm trying to do the same thing at the moment and my phone goes to call the number but then just goes blank and all I can hear is my voice on the other end of the line. Super strange. I would appreciate any help too!

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@henderjl Do you know where the company is located? It seems that if it is in the US they may restrict their centre to receive calls from US numbers only.  And, could you recheck that the number is dialed properly, that messge is trigured when the number doesn't exist. Thanks .

@henderjl wrote:

I have Canada-wide Talk and can't make a 1-800 number.  The voice tells me that I don't have Talk.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Does it happen to all 1800 numbers?

Some of them are just for within USA as I understand. But I think the usual message would be 'you are diaing number not available on your calling area'

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@henderjl 

Is your account status active or suspended?  Does text and data work?  

Maybe try rebooting phone.  Toggle airplane mode on, then off.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@henderjl wrote:

Some subscribers limit callers from geographic areas. Can you call the number with another phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.