cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting study - Canadians Using Less Than Half the Mobile Data

tzliu
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
  • Canada ranks tenth on the list [mobile data usage], behind Australia, Italy and Brazil, with an average cellular data usage of 2.7GB per month, much behind the USA’s hefty 6.1GB. When it comes to mobile Wi-Fi data usage, a typical Canadian uses the same amount per month as a typical American - 8.4GB per month.
  • users on the Rogers network use the most cellular data, using 26.5% of their data on mobile networks and 73.5% on Wi-Fi. According to the study, Bell mobile users are the most cautious about using mobile data with just 18.5% of their data usage on 3G and 4G networks and relying on Wi-Fi for 81.5% of their data usage.
  • ... Bell achieving the fastest network speeds, with Rogers the slowest, which could suggest network congestion is impacting on Rogers network performance.

"These results clearly show that Canadian mobile users are using considerably less data than users in other countries and are therefore turning to Wi-Fi more often. There could be a number of reasons for this, but the most likely reason is the cost of mobile data being notoriously expensive compared to other countries. A recent report actually found Canada to be the fifth most expensive country in the world for mobile data. It is possible that price could be a key factor in Canada’s low cellular data consumption, particularly when you consider that they use the same amount of data on Wi-Fi as their American counterparts."

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180705005096/en/Canadians-Mobile-Data-Paying-Times-American...

3 REPLIES 3

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

lol, the amount of waste would depends on who you talk to. I am sure there's a lot of waste for the ppl on the PM 12gig plan.

Wondering how much data does people have on the accoun in average compare to other countries.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Not surprising at all.  I wonder how the usage numbers correlate to the average amount of data in a cell plan.  As expensive as data is, I think there is a lot that go to waste at the end of the renewal period. 

Need Help? Let's chat.