cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling out of country 90 days

Eister
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi, Could anyone clarify if I can temporarily put an account on suspend by stopping auto pay for the maximum 90 days, then while in the US insert a Mint Mobile SIM card using the same phone and phone number with out messing up PM account reactivation when returning home?
(Mint Mobile has a special $15. p/mo for 3 mos.)
Thanks🙏 

17 REPLIES 17

PhilWarner
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If you go down to the lowest plan that maintains voicemail, that kind of makes sense….I’d be worried that when I get back into Canada though that my plan that I like ($40 for 30GB on 5G) might be gone though. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eister : There is no billing data here. It's a 30 day term. The renewal date "floats" up the days of the month as the months go by. When you reactivate, it will start a new 30 day term.

Eister

Do you know if they pick up from your old billing date…ie 22nd. or does renewal trigger a new contract date ie 15th… if that’s the 7 days in advance to avoid cancellation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eister : Reactivating after your prior plans' 30 days expiration and before the 90 days will start a whole new 30 day term.

Eister

Thanks so much for your suggestion to use Text Now while away…that worked brilliantly!

Eister

I can relate about the typing on the phone…one finger no less! Lol Thanks for your help.
Would you happen know if when reactivating your account it starts to bill from that new date ie 5 days in advance, or reverts to billing from your original account date before suspension?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Eister 

You may find this additional info handy....

Options for your account and service....

1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. Moderator/CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually. Mint mobile has unlimited calling to Canada and Mexico so you could easily check your voicemail.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost using this method.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan** with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your fongo number. Be sure to perform all call forwarding while in Canada. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your fongo number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card or in your case a mint mobile sim card) You can access your fongo voicemail for all voicemail messages.

**If you are on a grandfathered plan or have a specific promotion tied to your plan like the current 2GBBONUS of bonus reoccurring plan data you will lose your plan and/or your bonus data or promotion if your change rate plans and will not get it back. Proceed with caution if you choose this method. Consult with the community first before changing plans.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels!

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Do remember to take off the autopay if you have one setup.

renew your account close to 85-88 days and your account will be active again.

you can use mint SIM with US number if the frequencies of MINT align with your device.

when you are back in Canada, just swap your PM SIM.

Eister

Thanks so much for all the help understanding how best to manage the phone while away! 
Much appreciated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eister : I remembered another workaround. If you get a voip app then you can leave your account active and forward your calls to the voip app number. Don't let the SIM (in a phone) see a US tower. The forwarding has to be done in Canada. There are apps to forward texts too but that would require the SIM in a phone and on in Canada.

@Eister 

You will get a US number with your Mint Mobile SIM.

As long as it's unlocked, your phone should not have a problem accepting the Mint SIM.

You can take the PM account out of hibernation in your self serve account without the need for the PM SIM being in the phone. Just make sure to not let it get past 89 days (85days recommended in case there are hick-ups) - you will loose your account and phone number after that.

Edit: Typing on the phone - should have known that I'm not fast enough....

Eister

Yes you’re right, I did mean use the same number as here, but it would make sense that US Sim card would need a US number. Thanks very much for the work around suggestion!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eister : Services stop when the account is suspended. Your phone number is attached to the SIM (if you will) not the phone.

You can certainly swap out SIM's all you want. Then put this one back in and reactivate and you will be back. Make sure you do this maybe around day 85 or so in case of any hiccups in reactivation.

Eister

Thanks very much for your reply,

I think I understand the suspend account part, but I’m uncertain if it’s possible to insert a Mint Mobile Sim card in the “same phone” and use it with “current PM phone number” while away without disrupting PM account reactivation upon returning home with in the 90 days.
Sorry not a straightforward easy question!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eister wrote:

Hi, Could anyone clarify if I can temporarily put an account on suspend by stopping auto pay for the maximum 90 days, then while in the US insert a Mint Mobile SIM card using the same phone and phone number with out messing up PM account reactivation when returning home?
(Mint Mobile has a special $15. p/mo for 3 mos.)
Thanks🙏 

@Eister : Not the same phone number as your account here if that's what you meant.

However, if you would like to keep your account active, you can receive texts while in the states. Some have reported receiving calls. But no outgoing without buying roaming add-ons. So get a voip app like TextNow and use it when on wifi somewhere to reply to those texts. TextNow also does voice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eister 

you need to make a payment before 88 day to you will save your number and account.

Reactivate A Suspended Plan

Missed a payment? After your plan expires, all you need to do is top-up your balance to keep the current plan going. You have up to 90 days to make a payment and, after doing so, your payment cycle will restart and your service will resume.After 90 days of non-payment, your account will be permanently deactivated, which means you will:

• Lose access to your phone number, and won’t be able to transfer it to a new provider in the future.
  • Need a new Public Mobile SIM card if you decide to activate a new Public Mobile account.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you have autopay setup then you can remove it.  If you want to keep your account then you would need to make a payment before 90 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.