cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is weird...my phone number changed on me?!

vcbgolf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I've been a Public customer since early October. I ported in from Fido and kept my old (604) 33x-xxxx number. Everything worked fine, could send/receive text messages and phone calls. Data worked. Recently I found that when I call people, my number is NOT what it used to be...now for some strange reason my number is (236) 971-xxxx. Obviously I didn't do anything and nobody can reach me at my old number. But I have old texts proving that my (604) 33x-xxxx number was working last month. What gives? This is very strange.

I checked and the serial number of my SIM is correct so I don't think I was a victim of SIM swap fraud. Please help? Thanks!

19 REPLIES 19

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@vcbgolf 

Try calling your old number. 

What happens?

vcbgolf

From someone else's Fido phone : "The customer you are calling is unavailable at the moment"

From a landline (Telus Fibre box) : it rings, then gives a busy signal but over top of that busy signal...it still rings!

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@vcbgolf 

Sounds like something a PM CS Agent need to look into. Just Create a Ticket on the SIMon chat.

Actually.....log in to your My Account. Can you get into it? Any irregularities?

Form of sim jack.......did some one port in a number to your account? Are you receiving  any odd calls? Wires crossed?

vcbgolf

Yes, I can log into My Account. The only weird thing is my first name was spelled wrong and my home address was missing (but I'm not sure it was entered originally when I set up the account). All else seems OK however. 

My SIM # matches the physical SIM card in my phone...

@vcbgolf wrote:

Yes, I can log into My Account. The only weird thing is my first name was spelled wrong and my home address was missing (but I'm not sure it was entered originally when I set up the account). All else seems OK however. 

My SIM # matches the physical SIM card in my phone...

Sim is good then. Did you check your “profile” for name and address? My name is incorrect by design...and I have if recorded that way. That can make it tougher to sim jack if proper name is not given. You might update your profile and correct your name. What phone number is on your account? 

In your usage...outgoing calls....what is the phone number....yours or other?

Time to change and record your security question?

You can change pin # through a CSA too. 

softech
Mayor / Maire

@vcbgolf   you ported your number into PM and you sure it was successful?  your Fido account was closed?  

Sometimes people requested porting but it didn't completed.  One month later , PM will assign a new number as the porting was not completed.  I wonder if that was the cause

@softech wrote:

@vcbgolf   you ported your number into PM,  are you sure it was successful?  Was your Fido account was closed?  

Sometimes people request a  port but it didn't complete.  One month later , PM will assign a new number as the porting was not complete.  I wonder if that was the cause?

How would an incomplete port get a new number? Also usually an incomplete port has split service over the 2 carriers. Like receive calls on one and make calls on other. But never the less is @vcbgolf old Fido account still alive? Can you put the old Fido sim in a phone and see what is does?