cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is weird...my phone number changed on me?!

vcbgolf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I've been a Public customer since early October. I ported in from Fido and kept my old (604) 33x-xxxx number. Everything worked fine, could send/receive text messages and phone calls. Data worked. Recently I found that when I call people, my number is NOT what it used to be...now for some strange reason my number is (236) 971-xxxx. Obviously I didn't do anything and nobody can reach me at my old number. But I have old texts proving that my (604) 33x-xxxx number was working last month. What gives? This is very strange.

I checked and the serial number of my SIM is correct so I don't think I was a victim of SIM swap fraud. Please help? Thanks!

19 REPLIES 19

@vcbgolf wrote:

No, the Fido account is closed 😉 I am really puzzled. My friends and kids had been calling me on my old (ported) number. 

Did you cancel the Fido account yourself? (not good)

Or did Fido close the account as a result of you initiating the port-out via Public Mobile? (good)

@vcbgolf   from the log, did it show any incoming calls?

The incoming log you mentioned just confirmed that your porting request wasn't completed.  Yes, when a line was activated with a porting request, the SIM will be activated and the phone could make outgoing calls using the number you try to port in.   No incoming call at this moment until the porting is fully completed    That's why you see your number on the Usage log, but only for outgoing calls.     So, your log with outgoing calls showing your old number as the originating number is normal in the situation when porting was not completed 

Since you activated on Oct 9.  It has 30 days to complete the port.  After the 30 days, Nov 9 in your case, PM did not get the porting completed (likely due to the fact that you didn't reply the text from Fido.  Or could also be something wrong on the Fido side and Fido did not pass the number over to PM), PM had to stop cancel the porting request and assigned you a new number randomly

I think your proper action is to try to login to your Fido account, see if you can login and if it shows your account still active.  You should also check if Fido is charging you still since Oct 9.  Also, you need to find your Fido SIM and test it in a phone to see if you can still make calls and receive calls on your original number.

Let us know how it turns out.

vcbgolf

Thank you for this info. I will do it.

I looked deeper into the activity logs and found something REALLY weird.

Oct 9, 2021 I succesfully activated this SIM and ported the number. It's easy to see the activity - text messages and calls originating from the correct ported number on my public mobile account.

Nov 9, 2021, calls and everything was perfectly originating from my correct phone number.

Nov 10, 2021 the calls and texts that were made originated from a DIFFERENT phone number, like someone changed my number??

Since then it's been wrong, but it took me a long time to figure out my number was now different.

@vcbgolf wrote:

No, the Fido account is closed 😉 I am really puzzled. My friends and kids had been calling me on my old (ported) number. 

@vcbgolf  did you open a ticket with PM support in the end?  what did they say?

I still wonder if porting failed.  After a month of the porting request, PM will assign you another number and cancel the original port request.

As to why Fido account was closed, there could be other reason..

You can provide us more details what was done.. or if you want, open  a ticket with PM and see what they say.

1. For faster response (2-48 hours), Click on the bubble in the lower right to request CS Agent assistance, or use this direct link: https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click "Contact Us", click "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket". Then follow to complete the ticket submission.

2. Or you can Send a private message to the CS Agent here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right, after ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply and work with you  via messaging there

vcbgolf

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vcbgolf 

so you get a SMS message from your old carrier asking to confirm if you would like to Transfer your number. Your reply should be: YES.

maybe you stuck with Transferring your old Phone Number, or is not complete processing

Here’s how to contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,

• you need to send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link

• please include in your message,
  • phone number,
  • which carrier,
  • Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST
    • Note: Public Mobile No Support by phone call or Email.. only by CS_Agentprivate message..

• Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Zyl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@vcbgolf wrote:

So I've been a Public customer since early October. I ported in from Fido and kept my old (604) 33x-xxxx number. Everything worked fine, could send/receive text messages and phone calls. Data worked. Recently I found that when I call people, my number is NOT what it used to be...now for some strange reason my number is (236) 971-xxxx. Obviously I didn't do anything and nobody can reach me at my old number. But I have old texts proving that my (604) 33x-xxxx number was working last month. What gives? This is very strange.

I checked and the serial number of my SIM is correct so I don't think I was a victim of SIM swap fraud. Please help? Thanks!

Looks like somebody cloned or jacked your SIM card and changed your phone number to theirs while using the cloned SIM card from yours.  https://securityintelligence.com/posts/clone-or-swap-sim-card-vulnerabilities-to-reckon-with/

Did you ever restart your phone prompted by a SMS text? 

I would contact a Public Mobile Customer Agent immediately by creating a private message with CS_Agent in the "To" field and mark it urgent.  They need to block your SIM card right away and investigate.  

Hope this helps. 

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@vcbgolf wrote:

@vcbgolf 

In this kind of situation, you should contact Customer support ASAP:

Spoiler
Open a ticket via:
https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html (faster response time)
Type "ticket" > Click "Contact Us" > Select your issue > "Click here to submit a ticket↗"

or send a private message to:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437
and describe your issue. Include your name,phone #, account #, Email address,4-digit PIN to speed up authentication process.

After sending the message, watch your community inbox for their reply.

Time is the essence when it could involve your account security. Even if you can figure out later what went wrong, it would take time and you can always cancel your ticket with CS if you don't need their help anymore.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@vcbgolf wrote:

@vcbgolf  - it is a little strange after this time. Did you leave the FIDO SIM in the phone after activation and receive a TEXT so you could reply YES to approve the port?

IF your Fido account was close prior to the porting completion, perhaps this messed something up?

If issues porting or transferring a number to Public Mobile, and it has been over the allotted time it usually takes to complete, submit a ticket here for help: https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/chatbot.html?botId=ZJkWuVb7Hp6EEcTIZKMZbvLwuDV&duid=1ml7MK2dvkmM37lFcEM...

OR - 

Check your Private INBOX messages, I have sent you the TELUS Porting phone number to see if this may be the issue.

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

How would an incomplete port get a new number? Also usually an incomplete port has split service over the 2 carriers. Like receive calls on one and make calls on other. But never the less is @vcbgolf old Fido account still alive? Can you put the old Fido sim in a phone and see what is does?

if port request wasn't completed because user failed to reply YES to the old provider, at the end of one month (30 or 31 days after the port request), PM will cancel the porting and will assign a new number to the line instead of keep the poring requesting pending forever.  But PM will email or text (I forgot which exact way) to let the user aware that the initial porting request was cancelled because it didn't complete.

I agree if port incomplete, the service will split between 2 carriers, that's why I tried to ask if OP , Original Poster, sure the complete was successful or not

@softech wrote:

@vcbgolf   you ported your number into PM,  are you sure it was successful?  Was your Fido account was closed?  

Sometimes people request a  port but it didn't complete.  One month later , PM will assign a new number as the porting was not complete.  I wonder if that was the cause?

How would an incomplete port get a new number? Also usually an incomplete port has split service over the 2 carriers. Like receive calls on one and make calls on other. But never the less is @vcbgolf old Fido account still alive? Can you put the old Fido sim in a phone and see what is does?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@vcbgolf   you ported your number into PM and you sure it was successful?  your Fido account was closed?  

Sometimes people requested porting but it didn't completed.  One month later , PM will assign a new number as the porting was not completed.  I wonder if that was the cause

In your usage...outgoing calls....what is the phone number....yours or other?

Time to change and record your security question?

You can change pin # through a CSA too. 

@vcbgolf wrote:

Yes, I can log into My Account. The only weird thing is my first name was spelled wrong and my home address was missing (but I'm not sure it was entered originally when I set up the account). All else seems OK however. 

My SIM # matches the physical SIM card in my phone...

Sim is good then. Did you check your “profile” for name and address? My name is incorrect by design...and I have if recorded that way. That can make it tougher to sim jack if proper name is not given. You might update your profile and correct your name. What phone number is on your account? 

vcbgolf

Yes, I can log into My Account. The only weird thing is my first name was spelled wrong and my home address was missing (but I'm not sure it was entered originally when I set up the account). All else seems OK however. 

My SIM # matches the physical SIM card in my phone...

Actually.....log in to your My Account. Can you get into it? Any irregularities?

Form of sim jack.......did some one port in a number to your account? Are you receiving  any odd calls? Wires crossed?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@vcbgolf 

Sounds like something a PM CS Agent need to look into. Just Create a Ticket on the SIMon chat.

vcbgolf

From someone else's Fido phone : "The customer you are calling is unavailable at the moment"

From a landline (Telus Fibre box) : it rings, then gives a busy signal but over top of that busy signal...it still rings!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@vcbgolf 

Try calling your old number. 

What happens?

Need Help? Let's chat.