cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of purchasing new unlocked Iphone

kachoo22
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,  can anyone tell me if this phone would work on Public Mobile.  I am nervous to buy since it says GSM, but I think it will work on this network - just want to be sure before purchasing. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/apple-iphone-6s-plus-gsm-unlocked-32gb-space-grey-brand-new/148...

Thank you! C

15 REPLIES 15

SHicks
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've had an iPhone for years without data.  I just kept my data off and my iMessage ran fine in wifi.  Out of wifi, you hold your finger on the message and a pop-up window comes up with "send as text message".  iMessage for me was great for sending photos as my old cell provider did not offer that with the cheap plan.

Now that I have a little data, I make sure the "Wifi Assist" is turned off on cellular settings and I use very little of my data.

Gonzo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kachoo22 
yes, this iPhone should work just fine with PM. And there is absolutely no need to use iMessage... I never do.

@gblackma wrote:

@kachoo22 a reason not to get an iPhone is data usage. Imessage uses data to send/ receive when not on wifi. If you buy an iPhone and then get the $15 plan which only gives you 250mb then its a waste of time. Stay safe. 

@gblackma  FYI: there is no requirement to use iMessage on an iPhone. Just turn iMessage OFF, and turn ON SMS/MMS and it will behave like an Android. 🤣

I have the $10 plan and use an iPhone with no problem.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@kachoo22 Don't be nervous. Almost all phones that work here also are GSM compatible.  For the phone, they're just saying that it takes sim cards.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@mm80 wrote:

For battery of a used phone, intenral battery is meant to last a few years. After a few years, many buy a new phone anyway.  Apple store can replace with official iPhone battery but the customer has to decide if the battery is worth spending money on.

The customer has to decide if the battery is worth spending money on. But the decision is easier when lower-cost options are available.

Apple store is not at all the only option. Not even the best option, in my opinion. iFixit charges about $30 for new iPhone 6 battery (price includes all necessary tools, guides, videos, and support for DIY install). Even "non-replaceable" batteries are just an overpriced inconvenience to anyone unafraid of warranty threats.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Korth For battery of a used phone, intenral battery is meant to last a few years. After a few years, many buy a new phone anyway.  Apple store can replace with official iPhone battery but the customer has to decide if the battery is worth spending money on.

SHicks

Not sure if you've bought the phone yet or not.  I have bought a few refurbished iPhones from getorchard.com and never had any issues.  Prices are good, delivery very fast and customer service excellent.  They even helped me when I was having issues trying to get my current phone unlocked so that I could transfer over to Public Mobile.

Might just be worth taking a look.

frank44

Kachoo, I have had an iPhone 8 for 1 year, would recommend it if you can somehow find a new one at a good price $200 - $300, it was discontinued a few months ago. My only complaint with the 8 is the battery life is low, but tolerable if you are a light user.  The 6, 6S, 7, 8, and the new SE are all very similar in size and format.  I almost got an iPhone XR but the smaller sizer and price of the 8 worked out fine for me.

If you can afford a higher price, check out the new iPhone SE.  If you can wait, new iPhones will be announced sometime before mid-October and there may be a new iPhone of interest, and reduced prices on the current iPhones.

(You can disable all iMessage features, default to the standard SMS/MMS used by commoners. Doesn't look as pretty, and your iPhone friends may be saddened that messages to and from you have to be so boring, but it will use Text instead of Data.)

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@kachoo22 a reason not to get an iPhone is data usage. Imessage uses data to send/ receive when not on wifi. If you buy an iPhone and then get the $15 plan which only gives you 250mb then its a waste of time. Stay safe. 

@4star60 A phone can be brand new and have 90 day or no warranty. The phone could be imported and only warranty is by the third party seller.

4star60

You can always go here

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started and look for the check your phone...

its compatible and they say it is brand new, so a nice phone but a little out of date and maybe a little pricey but still nice.  Hmmmm, it says brand new but only 90 day warranty!!!!!!  Something does not add up.

Some people do like a reasonably priced Iphone and the screen size the 6s has.  Your decision of course.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

iPhone 6 is not only discontinued, but my understanding is that it's also subjected to forced updates which many people claim make it suck.

Also, if it's a refurb which has already seen any use then the old battery might need replacing soon.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

The iPhone 6S and 6S Plus were succeeded by the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus on September 7, 2016 and were discontinued with the announcement of the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR on September 12, 2018.

So I would suggest thinking of another phone that has not been discontinued.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Yes it will but take note for that price you could get other phones. iPhone 6 are discontinued.

Need Help? Let's chat.