cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Canada-wide call minute is counted wrong

ClementChung067
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So I barely used my phone's number for calls at all since I got the plan 6 days ago and it was 11 minutes. I was surprised so I decide to combine the minutes of all of my outgoing calls and it was around 3-4 minutes, so where did that 7-8 minute come from?

221312321.pngScreenshot 2023-03-17 234419.png

5 REPLIES 5

100% agree. I pay about 1/4 the price i paid for my phone back in 2006 when I paid $125/month for a plan with 700 minutes, 100 SMS, and 4MB of data...yes you read that right, MB, not GB. The phone didn't have wifi either!

Granted that came with a subsidized phone, but still. I get way more today for way less. Sure if you want an iPhone 14 max pro you're going to pay for that, but there is cheap service out there if you look for it. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ClementChung067 

PM charges by the whole minute and partial minute will be round up to 1 minute.

There is a minimum charge per call is 1 minute,

You have 11 calls with less than 1 minute.

There were calling plan was charge by the seconds.  But most plans are come with unlimited minutes nowadays.  Charging by the second does not make any sense any more.

-

@softech wrote:

@ClementChung067   add to @will13am 's comment, all carrier is using this practice for minute usgae count, not just PM's  

Further to your point, back in the day when usage was not rounded to the nearest minute, there was no such thing as unlimited calling and a typical monthly plan would have 100 minutes for $25.  Fast forward a couple of decades and we have the same $25 plan having unlimited minutes plus 1GB data.  I would say telecom service is deflationary.  The hyperbolic statements around the lack of affordability comes from the average cell plan being loaded with tons of data and features that frankly the typical cell user cannot afford without opportunity costs elsewhere in the budget.  Add on top a shiny new iPhone 14 pro with 512GB storage and you have a front page news story in the financial section.  

/rant

@ClementChung067   add to @will13am 's comment, all carrier is using this practice for minute usgae count, not just PM

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ClementChung067 , although the usage history shows calls to the second the usage meter rounds up each call to the nearest minute.  Basically you had 11 calls each under one minute.  The assigned usage for each call is one minute, so the total usage of 11 minutes is correct.  

Need Help? Let's chat.