cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting when in the UK

hilafish
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am wondering if I will be able to use my iPhone 12 to send text messages when I am in the UK or do I need to purchase an add-on before I go. Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @hilafish 

No, PM service only work in Canada and US (if you get US roaming).

You can buy local data sim and then use VoIP app to send text.  TextNow would be a good choice. You get another new phone number with TextNow and then you give it to your friends and they text you on that new number

For local data SIM, try   Lebrara or 3G.  Some places in Canada sell them too if you want to get the sim ahead, but with more expensive then getting it there.  But it's so common in UK and you can get it everywhere there

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can get a UK plan for cheap, Three or Tesco Mobile has one of the best rates. You can get 10 GB of UK data for 10 pounds on Tesco.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Yeah, can't use PM but many other alternatives you can use for texting/messaging etc.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

There is no way to use the Public service in the UK.

You can use imessage while on wifi to other ios users. You can use a voip app for talk and text. You can get a UK sim and plan.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

You'll have NO PM service when you're in UK. (Some say you can recieve texts but uncomfirmed)

You can get a free voip app, like TextNow...uses wifi and you can call / text any US or CDN number for gratis.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

PM does Not provide any service beyond Canada and US. For US you would need appropriate add-on limited to 10 days of usage.

You could use app like TextNow for texting while in UK or get local SIM.

Need Help? Let's chat.