cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text From PM About Changes To Manitoba Prepaid Network

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just received the following text now:

"Public Mobile here. As of March 16, 2021, our Prepaid network in Manitoba will be changing and select areas of Winnipeg and Brandon may experience reduced voice coverage. Data speeds will remain unaffected. In order to maintain the best voice coverage after March 16, 2021, changes will need to be made to your account. For more information, please call us at 1-866-975-3058. Free Public Mobile Msg"

Before I call this number, has anyone here heard anything related to this or what exactly this is about? What changes are we talking about???

283 REPLIES 283

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Will we have volte soon?

I'm really curious

Is there anything within your account that's different then before?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Sounds like there must be issues with the system at the other end of the number they gave out?  However, for some context:

Telus is decommissioning their 3G (UMTS/W-CDMA) network in Manitoba soon.  For customers on Koodo or Telus (with Telus-blessed devices), they can continue doing calling over VoLTE (Voice Over LTE) on the 4G network.  However, Public Mobile customers have no access to VoLTE, so they will lose access to make and receive calls.  Texting and data will still work over the 4G LTE network (albeit at 3G-like throttled speeds as usual).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

lwc726
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

not one mention of any change.

bluejaywpg

Part of the reason why I asked here 1st is because I wondered if the text message was even legit & from PM. It appears I have never received a message from "5169" until now, due to lack of message history.

How do you know this phone number is a Telus number?  When I Google the number, *EDIT* nothing relevant came back, disregard what I said earlier. Nothing to do with TD bank.

4mp3rs4nd

I guess it's fair to assume that Public Mobile won't be migrating with the pack, and 3G phone services will be lost. 

I expect that means different (i.e. pricier) plan tiers at 4G rates will be established?

Peggie99

I got the same as well. I called the number and it went to Telus, with only one prompt: "...to hear this promotion, press 1..."

Based on that my guess is they're funneling Public Mobile customers into their general front-line queue; I've been on hold for over 30 minutes.

I'm not a happy camper. 

For something this important - there should have been a link to a website with more information, and/or a unique prompt so that I can be directed to someone who knows something about why I'm calling.

If after waiting on hold for hours all I get is a front-liner who doesn't know anything about the Network change and then tries to sell me on a Telus plan, I'm going to be extra unhappy. 

...over an hour on hold, and then the call dropped followed by a busy signal. Ridiculous.

derrickhugh
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Ok it is not just me who got this text... I am on hold as well right now waiting to see why that text was sent.

After sitting on hold for 1 hour and 10 min they hung up on me....."sad kitten"....

bluejaywpg

@kselmak no changes that I can see, except this has me wondering (see the highlighted area). Note that all of the plans below specify "3G speeds". Nothing is pure, unthrottled 4G speed. For now I guess.

bluejaywpg_0-1612291762316.png

4mp3rs4nd

I was looking at that too.

The site still offers unlimited calling, and it would be unreasonable to expect them to offer that if they're cutting it off within a month - if we don't hear more here, we'll be able to see what the plan is when the next bill renewals extending past the 16th kick in.

Peggie99

"Telus is decommissioning their 3G (UMTS/W-CDMA) network in Manitoba soon."

Do you have a reference for this information?

All I could find was an old article from 2017 mentioning decommissioning CDMA. 

https://www.telus.com/en/mb/support/article/cdma