cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching back and forth between LTE and 5G

BGK
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello- recently subscribed to a 5g plan with Public Mobile and noticed that my Samsung s21 Ultra now switches between the two connections even when in the same location.

Screenshot_20231128_150830_Call settings.jpg

Settings look good including APN settings as well... Is this just a normal thing that occurs?

Curtis

5 REPLIES 5

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@BGK 

If the Cellular setting is set on Auto then it will switch to the strongest signal where you are located.

3G/4G/LTE can go through walls where 5G can’t due the the wave length. But you can set it on 5G but when you are inside…the signal will cut-off. It will drain your battery quick trying to check connect to a signal.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@BGK APN does not affect network selection

In fact, it is normal for phone to switch between 5G and 4G.  5G wastes more battery and phone usually falls backnto 4G if not big amount of download or speed is needed.  Also, if you have power save mode enabled. 

If there is a choice in the network mode to lock it at 5G, you can choose that but that would mean your battery would drain faster

BGK

Screenshot_20231128_155042_Call settings.jpg

My phone does not have the option to manually change to 5g only. Does the switching back and forth consume battery life significantly though?

illy

I definitely noticed that when I switched over also. It also does use more battery searching and switching, so lately I just keep it on LTE. If I need extra speed I just turn on 5G

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

If your device is set to Auto, then it will search the best network for your device's capability @BGK 

You can set it manually to one or the other, if you prefer, however I'd recommend keeping it on AUTO.

Need Help? Let's chat.