cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch to 5g plan. Plan details look correct in my account. Phone still connecting at 4g LTE

Dano58
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have restarted my ohone..no help. Still connects at 4g only. Setting show to autoconnect 5g/lte/3g  etc as expected. Any ideas? BTW phone is a Samsung A15 5G .

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Dano58  My son recently switched to the $34 5G 50 GB Canada -us plan. At our house, he can only get LTE service, sometimes at a whopping 5.0 mbps!  We are in a 5G dead zone with poor signal strength. Go to the PM coverage map and type in your address and see whether or not you have 5G coverage in your area. If not, that would explain your situation. Good luck! 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

superman26

Hi @Dano58 When did your plan change? Historically after a plan change it could take 48 hours for the profile provisioning for speed to take effect on your phone (eg users changing from 3G to 4G or to 5G plans and in reverse). Also you mentioned you are in NB. You can check the link below and isolate Bell/Telus towers to see closest to you what you could be picking up. Now there could even be a longer delay between the handshake for TELUS/PM devices using Bell towers to recognize  which network you should be using 5Gvs4G and since you're at the mercy of being the non priority device technically roaming on Bell towers we can only assume what the provisioning is as opposed to you living in the West and connecting on TELUS towers and even that the towers and connectivity have priority to TELUS>Koodo>PM plans. Hopefully it resolves for yours eventually! If not open up a ticket with support as some has suggested if resetting your network settings or updating to the latest OS doesn't work. Cheers!

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Dano58   Would one of your friends with 5G on Bell let you try your PM sim in their phone?  (You could also try vice versa as a test).  Might help with the diagnostics.   Not going to work if you have esim though of course.  My iPhone gets 5G or 5G+ when I'm out and about but at home it stays on LTE unless I'm outdoors since it's on 5G auto, but I imagine you've already looked at that in your Samsung.

Dano58

Please stop! I get 40Mbps here on 4g lte. I have seen it up to 100Mbps when I'm elsewhere with the phone. Like I said I do not need the extra bandwidth....but if you are trying to tell me ..om 5g..i would still only get between 40Mbps and 100Mbps and no more...you are mistaken. Very simple...I'm on a 5g plan..I want to connect at 5g...at some point...even if it can drop to 4g or lower depending where I am. I understand all of that. 40 years in IT. Stop trying to convince me of what I already know. If you have no further suggestion apart from what you already posted....please stop.

@Dano58 

curious, why you so interested with 5G even if 4G got you the same speed? 5G drain your battery faster

if you are on iPhone, try 5G ON instead of 5G auto

Phones like iPhone and same Samsung will purposely drag it down to 4G to save battery.  So, turn off Data Saver and Turn off Power saver

and you test the 5G in different area ? maybe just a problem in your area.

Dano58

Well, others I know get 5g on Bell as well. So that's not gonna fix my issue.

Dano58

good for you. That doesn't help me though. I just want to connect at 5g since that's the plan I an on now. I certainly do not require the extra bandwidth...no one really does. 

HI @Stonechucker1 

not sure about NB, but in BC, there is some part of the area we can "roam" on to Rogers towers

Dano58

I understand the speed difference. I have been an IT professional for 4o years. I don't actually need the extra bandwidth (no one really does) . I upgraded to get the 50g over the 20g I had on my 4g plan and at $5 less monthly. But if I am now on a 5g plan, I'd like to connect at 5g. the reset might help

@Dano58 wrote:

That's not really the point, and your math is wrong. The most I have ever seen on 4g lte is 100 Mbps .

hi @Dano58 

the reason you see max is 100Mbps because it was capped by PM, not because of the technology

i have 5G plan and tested on 4G network, it goes up to 200+ Mbps

So, test it and see

Stonechucker1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Dano58 , as far as I learned in my many years with public mobile they have never used Rogers towers to connect. Telus and Bell are in a partnership where they share their towers across the Nation and their sub brands Fido Virgin plus lucky Koodo and Public Mobile. If you know anybody on any of those six carriers I listed check with them to see if they have 5G. The towers in New Brunswick may not support it at this time.

***** Oops I'm editing this post by adding that I'm mistakenly said Fido above they are Rogers company so they are not included in the Bell or Telus networks.

Dano58

That's not really the point, and your math is wrong. The most I have ever seen on 4g lte is 100 Mbps . Now I realize no one really needs more bandwidth than that as I am an IT professional and have been for 40 years. I changed plans more for the upgrade to 50gb from 20gb and it is $5 cheaper than my last plan. Point is I am now on 5g so should be able to connect to 5g.

hi @Dano58 

speed matters more than 5G or not.  4G plans has a top step of 100Mbps, 5G's top speed is 250Mbps. 

Download speed test app and check, even you are connected to 4G, you should see your speed over 100 and close to 250Mbps

and what phone do you have?  you can try to click Reset All Networks and check 5G again

Dano58

Yes I considered that, except I know there is 5g here, in that I have a friend with a Rogers 5g plan and he get 5g here with no issue. As far as I know, Telus ( Public Mobile) using Rogers infrastructure where I am in NB. If there are no other suggestions, I'll check later when I go out.

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Dano58 - Try updating your device to the latest software.

Also LTE / 4G can go up to 2gbps, while the public mobile plan limits you to 250mbps. So LTE will be as fast as 5G and since more people are on the 5G bands, you will have faster speeds.

eddieO
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey @Dano58, I suspect that where you are you are only able to acquire a 4g signal, even though your plan is for 5g it will only be able to connect to whatever is closest/strongest signal to you. As you move about you will likely see it drop to even 3g but if 5g is available where you are you should be connecting to that

Need Help? Let's chat.