cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch phone numbers while keeping old one

gyeh
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is it possible to transfer my existing plan to another phone number for a 90 day plan, then switch back at the end? I want to do this because I will be going to the States but I want to keep my plan going to get the loyalty reward, and I want to let my brother use the plan but on a different number. Then when I come back, I want to switch back.

5 REPLIES 5

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gyeh jus let your current plan expire(remove auto-pay) and when you come back top up and continue using your plan. Loyalty rewards will be offset by 90 days.  The only issue is that a plan can only be suspended for 90 days after that you lose your plan and number.

So if you have a good plan go this route else if you have a current in market plan switch to the 8$ a  month talk text plan. Let it expire and renew as needed and then when ready ask mods to activate an in market plan.

This of course doesn't help your brother.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@gyeh, i assume that everything you are talking about are with Public Mobile.  You cannot port a number from the same carrier.  What you can do is port out the number you want to keep to another carrier and then back to public Mobile into the account that you want to keep.  Virgin Mobile prepaid is a good option for doing this.  You can set up one of these accounts without putting any money into it.  The only investment is a SIM card which costs all of $1 on eBay.  

I wouldn't go through the effort with going to a mod about this.  The chances of this being doable are next to nill.  When you switch your phone number,  your old phone number eventually gets released after some time for use by new customers.  Once you've switch the phone number, you give up all rights to use that phone number again.  The number only is reserved for you while you are paying for a service that is associated with it.  You'd be playing with fire and there's a very good chance that you'd end up losing your phone number. 

rsa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't think so, but I think it'd be worth sending a pm to a mod. 

Maybe you could ask if they could put some sort of "pause" on your account until you get back?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

No not possible

Need Help? Let's chat.