cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion for dead air voice mails

daveopg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Not sure if there is a better spot for suggestions but I find it annoying enough when I get several spam calls per day at times but it seems unnecessary in this day and age that I must then be notified of several voice mail messages that when I check them are all the same, just 2 or 3 seconds of dead air.  This is after listening to the phone number be slowly read out each time.  Is it not possible that if there is just dead air the computer that handles voice mail could just delete it instead of saving it and sending notification about something that does not exist.

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@daveopg  change your number?

No, I don't really recommend that unless this is a brand new number you don't care about.

Several per day ? Sooo frustrating - yes.

Hopefully they drop your number soon.

Are you receiving legitimate calls okay? And, all other services good?

This may not do anything if your answer to these 2 questions are yes, but do you have another phone you can put your SIM into for a couple of days?

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

They are an annoyance especially when you waiting for an actual important call/voicemail, the only remotely close workaround I found was to just forward to blocked numbers with YouMail to a special voicemail recording  I set up to waste their time.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@daveopg wrote:

Not sure if there is a better spot for suggestions but I find it annoying enough when I get several spam calls per day at times but it seems unnecessary in this day and age that I must then be notified of several voice mail messages that when I check them are all the same, just 2 or 3 seconds of dead air.  This is after listening to the phone number be slowly read out each time.  Is it not possible that if there is just dead air the computer that handles voice mail could just delete it instead of saving it and sending notification about something that does not exist.

Thanks!

@daveopg 

Yes, that is very annoying, I agree.  Sadly, not a lot can be done to avoid dead-air calls to voice messages.

Re the number being read out slowly, try logging into your voicemail to see if there is a "personal options" settings.  Under that menu option, there may be a "playback preferences" feature.

If so, there may be an option to not have the phone number NOT read out each time.

If not, there may be an option to have it read out FOLLOWING the message and not prior.

Give it a shot!!!

@Anonymous wrote:

@daveopg 

i understand you and your right but who will listen to this no one unless you can make feedback or reporting to CSA,

Give me a break.....CSA....wasting your time and no disrespect to the CSA's. CTRC already knows and if you are looking for a solution.....ask CRTC. 

@Yummy wrote:

@daveopg wrote:

Is it not possible that if there is just dead air the computer that handles voice mail could just delete it instead of saving it and sending notification about something that does not exist.

Be patient! We are just in 21st century and computers are not that sophisticated 🙂

Probably when technology gets more sophisticated, we will be able to select what vmails should be immediately deleted based on words, tone of voice, heavy breathing and similar.

Until then - answers is No. You will have to suffer same as the rest of us with 'empty' vmails messages.

Computers.....or smart phones??  If a number is blocked, the smart phone should not allow the voicemail. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@daveopg 

Spam calls just ignore and delete and blocking...and never call back to number you don't know.

Blocking does not really stop them. Spammers use a spoofed number for days or a week and then use a new number. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@daveopg wrote:

Thanks!

IF you have an up to date contacts list.....with the dead air.....or even the threatening CRA CBSA or the one in Chinese or a previously blocked spammer... You can check your recents and likely see that your voicemails are reflected in your recents with out a name. Then just get over it and delete them. 

daveopg

@Yummy 

Hopefully one day we have the technology in computers that my answering machine had back in the 90's and that only Google voice currently has today!...lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

@daveopg 

i understand you and your right but who will listen to this no one unless you can make feedback or reporting to CSA,

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@daveopg wrote:

Is it not possible that if there is just dead air the computer that handles voice mail could just delete it instead of saving it and sending notification about something that does not exist.

Be patient! We are just in 21st century and computers are not that sophisticated 🙂

Probably when technology gets more sophisticated, we will be able to select what vmails should be immediately deleted based on words, tone of voice, heavy breathing and similar.

Until then - answers is No. You will have to suffer same as the rest of us with 'empty' vmails messages.

daveopg

@Anonymous 

They are all spoofed numbers I get so blocking them does nothing as it's never the same number twice and if you do call back the number it's just some innocent cell phone owner that has nothing to do with the scam. Regardless, we have the technology so let's use it and at least not save the dead air messages they leave creating a further inconvenience. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@daveopg 

Spam calls just ignore and delete and blocking...and never call back to number you don't know.

Need Help? Let's chat.