cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: Please change the service term from 30 days to 1 month.

BasesLoadedWalk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I really like Public Mobile overall, but one aspect of the service that is somewhat annoying is the fact that service is based on 30 days and not a calendar month. The annoying thing about having service based on 30 days is that the data usage tracking on most phones is based on a calendar month, and with service being 30 days, it throws that usage tracker out of alignment by 1 day when the month has 31 days in it. Every month that does have 31 days in it, I have to go and change the data cycle days in the settings on my phone. Also when it comes to managing the billing of the account, I like to budget my finances monthly, and I like to have recurring charges take place on a regular/same day of the month basis. I do have autopay set up, but I also would like to have my bank account set up in a way that I can pay my credit card automatically for the Public Mobile charge on the same day each month. It would be easier if Public Mobile just changed the billing term to a calendar month instead of having the billing date shift by 5 days each calendar year.

14 REPLIES 14

@gpixel wrote:

in reality you don't need to set a limit since there are no overages. yes it may be a minor annoyance changing your cycle date every now and then, but it teaches responsibility and eliminates laziness. it takes 30 seconds out of your day. 

that's one of the things like about pm. it teaches us life skills

@gpixel Amen to that, bro 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

@BasesLoadedWalk chatr is one of the only monthly prepaid carriers at the moment. if you don't have many rewards, they could be a better fit for you. 

in reality you don't need to set a limit since there are no overages. yes it may be a minor annoyance changing your cycle date every now and then, but it teaches responsibility and eliminates laziness. it takes 30 seconds out of your day. 

that's one of the things like about pm. it teaches us life skills

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

I hear ya, @BasesLoadedWalk 

It would make much more sense for the consumer that plans be MONTHLY as opposed to 30-day cycles.

Heck, even their promotions for a free 30-day cycle credit are commonly referred to as "2nd MONTH free" by Public Mobile, so it seems even their marketing folks prefer calling it "MONTH".   

However do I see that happening anytime soon - not likely.

farmbot

Internet search  into MVNOs in Canada and US shows 30 days  the standard for prepaid services.

Perhaps because of customer churn or the company's desire for post paid customers.

Probably not going to happen. I don't see the need. The flexibility to leave, change plans, or suspend services at Publicmobile fits nicely over small inconvenience of 30 day cycle. 

☎️✔️ 

@BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

@Gunner123 wrote:

@BasesLoadedWalk hi I agree that would be nice but unfortunately we are stuck with these 30 day plans 

We are never "stuck" with anything as consumers. If enough people want this, then the company would adapt to the wants of their customers. Heck, if it's about money, I'll even pay for the extra day worth of service every other month.

True, we are never stuck for options. However, monthly instead of 30 days was first requested 6 years ago. So, while PM may change its "mind", best to assume we're stuck with 30 day plans. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @BasesLoadedWalk 

I pay my bills two times per month but i handle my phone accounts only at the beginning of month, i am on 15 plan with one account and 25 another, so i make sure there is 30 on the first and 50 on the second, just in case the rewards don't make it to my account for some reason and i dont have access to my account.

For the data tracker, i set warning at 220m and cut off at 250, if i reach warning i check if i need to sync the dates. I'm not sure how is your usage but you should play with it until it feels kinda safe, i had it at 240 but it was not enough of the notice for me, 20% should be enough of the notice i think. 

@BasesLoadedWalk 

Why dont you start a petition to present to the CRTC the next time they hold public hearings on the WCC regulations so that you can get them to change what is an industry standard for prepaid mobile service providers. I'm sure if you get enough signatures they will consider your proposal and hold hearings to debate the merits of changing the legislation.

@BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

Not really a productive reply. You are basically saying the equivalent of "get a bicycle" when I asked "Toyota to improve the fuel efficiency of it's cars".

@BasesLoadedWalk You missed the point entirely. If I didn't like the fuel economy of a Toyota, I would buy something else. If I didn't like the service fees my bank charges, I would find a new bank. If I didn't like the 30 day terms here at PM I would find a new cell provider. In each and every case if enough consumers voted with their wallets, they would effect change.

Not sure what you expected for replies.You start a thread with an opinion and people contribute what they think about the subject. Did you want everyone to agree with you? I certainly didn't dismiss your thoughts as not being productive so I'm not sure why you would do that to me. 

All this to say we disagree I guess. 

BasesLoadedWalk

@kb_mv wrote:

@BasesLoadedWalk I keep my CC balance in the negative all the time. I would suggest, and I'm not being facetious, that you vote with your wallet. If it's that big a deal take your business somewhere that provides you what you want for a price you are happy with. If enough people did it then maybe they would change. Otherwise, I can't see it happening.

Not really a productive reply. You are basically saying the equivalent of "get a bicycle" when I asked "Toyota to improve the fuel efficiency of it's cars".

@BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

@kb_mv wrote:

As for paying your CC on the same day monthly, what's stopping you? You don't need the PM charge to show up to actually budget it and pay it today.

I pay my credit card each time a transaction on it is made, and keep it at zero balance each day. I would like to set up automatic payments each month on the exact day Public Mobile charges me for service. I also know we pay for 30 days of service, but that's the whole point of my thread. I would like it changed to prepay for a calendar month, to make it so we get regular billing dates like almost every other service company out there. Telus charges my Cable TV by a monthly basis. My gas company charges me on a monthly basis. It's not hard for PM to adapt to the same thing. I'd even pay the 1/30th extra charge if it's really about penny pinching for PM.

@BasesLoadedWalk I keep my CC balance in the negative all the time. I would suggest, and I'm not being facetious, that you vote with your wallet. If it's that big a deal take your business somewhere that provides you what you want for a price you are happy with. If enough people did it then maybe they would change. Otherwise, I can't see it happening.

BasesLoadedWalk

@kb_mv wrote:

As for paying your CC on the same day monthly, what's stopping you? You don't need the PM charge to show up to actually budget it and pay it today.

I pay my credit card each time a transaction on it is made, and keep it at zero balance each day. I would like to set up automatic payments each month on the exact day Public Mobile charges me for service. I also know we pay for 30 days of service, but that's the whole point of my thread. I would like it changed to prepay for a calendar month, to make it so we get regular billing dates like almost every other service company out there. Telus charges my Cable TV by a monthly basis. My gas company charges me on a monthly basis. It's not hard for PM to adapt to the same thing. I'd even pay the 1/30th extra charge if it's really about penny pinching for PM.

BasesLoadedWalk

@Gunner123 wrote:

@BasesLoadedWalk hi I agree that would be nice but unfortunately we are stuck with these 30 day plans 

We are never "stuck" with anything as consumers. If enough people want this, then the company would adapt to the wants of their customers. Heck, if it's about money, I'll even pay for the extra day worth of service every other month.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

I really like Public Mobile overall, but one aspect of the service that is somewhat annoying is the fact that service is based on 30 days and not a calendar month. The annoying thing about having service based on 30 days is that the data usage tracking on most phones is based on a calendar month, and with service being 30 days, it throws that usage tracker out of alignment by 1 day when the month has 31 days in it. Every month that does have 31 days in in, I have to go and change the data cycle days in the settings on my phone. Also when it comes to managing the billing of the account, I like to budget my finances monthly, and I like to have recurring charges take place on a regular/same day of the month basis. I do have autopay set up, but I also would like to have my bank account set up in a way that I can pay my credit card automatically for the Public Mobile charge on the same day each month. It would be easier if Public Mobile just changed the billing term to a calendar month instead of having the billing date shift by 5 days each calendar year.

@BasesLoadedWalk I use an app called DataWitness PM available on the play store (I'm sure there are others as well) that tracks data usage over whatever period you like. It also allows you to put in all your bonus/add on data and it will track that usage as well. As for paying your CC on the same day monthly, what's stopping you? You don't need the PM charge to show up to actually budget it and pay it today.

I prepay for 30 days service at a time. Not 31 days this month and only 28 days next month.

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

I really like Public Mobile overall, but one aspect of the service that is somewhat annoying is the fact that service is based on 30 days and not a calendar month. The annoying thing about having service based on 30 days is that the data usage tracking on most phones is based on a calendar month, and with service being 30 days, it throws that usage tracker out of alignment by 1 day when the month has 31 days in it. Every month that does have 31 days in in, I have to go and change the data cycle days in the settings on my phone. Also when it comes to managing the billing of the account, I like to budget my finances monthly, and I like to have recurring charges take place on a regular/same day of the month basis. I do have autopay set up, but I also would like to have my bank account set up in a way that I can pay my credit card automatically for the Public Mobile charge on the same day each month. It would be easier if Public Mobile just changed the billing term to a calendar month instead of having the billing date shift by 5 days each calendar year.

Need Help? Let's chat.