cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subscribed to a 3G service with Public Mobile, would buying a 5G phone still work on this service?

Lea01
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I want to get Samsung A14 - 5G phone, would it work to keep using the same service at 3G or would I be required to change to 5G service?

Also, in general does any 5G phone work on a 3G service?

3 REPLIES 3

@Phil_Adelphus 

three things,

the end of 2025 for 3G sunshine is not set yet.  In fact, rumour says it will be extended and extend way beyond that.. could be more than 2016, or a lot longer

And, as far as I know, PM does not update the list for new phones.  But most, if not all, new phones from 2023 on will have VoLTE enabled and supported.  It is just a matter that no more old phones, phones released before 2023,  will be added to the list

Third, by 3G sunset, there will certainly be a lot more phones on the VoLTE list, so no need to worry about that now if you are buying new phones

@softech   The A14 is not on PM's VoLTE list, how might this affect it after 2025 when the 3G networks are supposedly being sunsetted in Canada?  (Already are in the USA).

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Lea01 

yes, it will work

and no need to change plan.  While the phone says 5G , it works perfectly on 3G and 4G networks

and also, your plan is a 3G Speed plan, what it means is that you have your network speed capped at 3Mbps 3G speed, but all PM subscribers on any plans are allowed to access 3G/4G/5G networks, ie, you are not bounded to 3G network only even you are on the 3G speed plan

So, enjoy the new phone

Need Help? Let's chat.