cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Test

Lookingforadeal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi There all,

I'm new...  just migrated over and signed up for 6gb at 4 g...  just did a speed test at https://www.speedtest.net/ and it indicates I have 0.80Mbps at 81ms....  Does that seem slow?

12 REPLIES 12

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Lookingforadeal 

That's not right.That's slow even by throttled data status. Log into your self-serve account and confirm your plan details just to ensure that you do have 4G service and not 3G service. 

• Did you update your carrier profile?
  • Try rebooting your phone first.
  • Toggle airplane mode on/off.
  • Power off your phone and move the SIM card. If possible put it in a different phone and run a speed test. 
  • If you cannot test it in another device ensure the SIM card remains out of your phone for at least 10 minutes before reseating the SIM card and rebooting the phone.

I suppose it's entirely possible that your data speed or your plan's data speed wasn't set up correctly or provisioned properly to your sim card. Contact customer support to open a tech team ticket for you so they can look into why your data is so slow.

Once your data speed has been corrected to approximately up to 100 Mbps and you're able to perform at least 3 speed test in a row with a consistent number that is to be expected from a 4G plan. Screenshot your data usage before and after you perform the tests. If you have proper 4G data speeds each test will use up to 400+ MB per test. Ask the CSA to reset your data counter with the data you used in the tests which could amount to more than 1+ GB.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Lookingforadeal you have been activated for 4 days now?

If you have not restarted your phone since you activated (or in the last 24 hours), you will likely receive a better result if you power off your device completely, then start it up again.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Speed test eat your data like crazy. Do not be obsessed with speed. As long as it does what it is supposed to do for YOU, ignore any measurements...

Lookingforadeal

hTideGnow

I'll test the phone in other areas later today....  Thank you for that..

Lookingforadeal

Hi ...  sorry for delay...  had a work thing get in the way...  I have an Iphone 8...  it show LTE in the carrier bar...

Lookingforadeal

Thanks...  but it is only available in Alberta, BC and Que...  I'm in Nova Scotia.  I just retested on speed test and my second test was 0.34Mbps at 89ms

@Lookingforadeal wrote:

I should have mentioned I'm also at about 93 hours or almost 4 days now as well..

That shouldn't make a difference becuase the the slower 3g plans are set to a maximum speed of 3Mbps.  As of now, you're not achieving that.  In addition, all new accounts are automatically set at the faster speed for the first 48 hours even if the slower speed plan is chosen.

HI @Lookingforadeal  What kind of phone do you have?  Make sure your network type is 4G or LTE or a choice that include 4G or LTE

If the settings is correct, then did you try your phone in another area?  did you try your PM sim in another phone ?

You can also open ticket with PM CS agent to confirm the account was setup correctly on the system:

open a ticket with PM CS Agent at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Follow this to get to ticket open screen quicker:

start by typing : Contact CS Agent
then Click "Contact Us"
then Click "Other"
finally Click "Click here to submit a ticket"
you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM's CS Agent

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the CS Agent (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Lookingforadeal

I should have mentioned I'm also at about 93 hours or almost 4 days now as well..

Lookingforadeal

I activated a new account...    I was with Telus through a Sobeys Corporate program for approx 15-20 years.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Lookingforadeal 

I always use Telus speed test. choose the location nearest to you.

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/speed-test

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Lookingforadeal  did you just activate new account or you are existing PM users and change plan from 3G plan to 4G speed plan?

Usually with a speed change, it will take as many as 48 hours for the new speed to apply 

Since you just change to 4G plan, wait 2 days, 48 hours, and try speed test again

Need Help? Let's chat.