cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartphone does not recognise SIM card anymore

RodolfoPichardo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I went on a trip out of the Canada, so I removed my Public Mobile SIM card, and replaced it with a local SIM.

When I returned, two weeks later, I put my old Public Mobile SIM card back, but the device does not recognise the SIM card anymore saying "No SIM | Emergency calls only".

I've already tried these:

• Restarted the device (no change)
  • Reseting the network settings (no change)
  • Inserting a different Public Mobile SIM card onto my phone (worked)
  • Inserting my SIM into another phone (it didn't recognise it either)
  • Checked my account online (not disabled - plan is still active).

What else should I try? What are my next steps?

12 REPLIES 12

jhol
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm not sure what kind of SIM you have, but it might be an easy fix if it's just dirty?

You can use an eraser or cotton swab to remove dirt and dust. Microfiber cloths also work well. 🙂

https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-SIM-Card

I'd recommend Canadian Cell Supplies - much cheaper and quicker. You can get it shipped or if you live in the GTA go to on of their stores and pick up same day

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@RodolfoPichardo  - did you confirm the 4 numbers in self serve match your actual last 4 digits on your SIM card?

RodolfoPichardo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

After so many of you suggested, I ran to my closest retail store to grab a new SIM card, unfortunately, they were already closed, so I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for all you quick replies.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @RodolfoPichardo if you already tried putting it on another phone and it has the same results it is safe to say the SIM has broken for some reason.  Get a new SIM from store and then request change sim card on My Account.  It is a quick process, you just need to find a store to get the SIM quick.   Do not order from PM online,  it won't come fast

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@RodolfoPichardo  - are you able to check one thing first before obtain a new SIM card?...just to make sure.

In your self serve account under the "Change Sim Card" option under the My Profile section, can you confirm the 4 digits listed there match the actual last 4 digits on your SIM card?

If that match great.

If not, then CSA will need to be engaged and other steps should be taken for security purposes.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Most likely SIM gone bad. Particularly if other SIM works well in your phone but your SIM is not working in other phone.

Try to clean SIM's contacts with alcohol. Don't use paint thinner or similar aggressive substances.

If nothing works, you would have to buy new SIM and swap them trough self-serving account.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@RodolfoPichardo  - firstly, I just want to say if everyone listed their troubleshooting steps like you did, there may be much less back and forths around here. So well done on that.

If your SIM card is not working in any other phone and your account is active, and cleaning it does not make it work, perhaps a new sim is required....what happened in those 2 weeks to it while you were away, strange.

You can pick up a new sim at a retailer near you, see here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator

Or, on the Public Mobile site or through Canadian Cell Supplies (CSS), currently 2.99 : https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/sim-cards/products/public-mobile-multi-sim-card-3-in-1-...

It would probably be quicker at a retailer if you have one near you, probably cost around $10. If they will not provide you a SIM card on it's own without activating a plan, just tell them your lost your phone and you need a replacement SIM. Don't activate a new plan.

Once you have a new SIM in hand, see "How To Change Your SIM Card" at the bottom of this Help Article: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/sim-swap-fraud

@hairbag1 wrote:

Could it be that your phone is now locked to the network that you used whilst away from Canada ? Which country and what network sim did you use while away ?

Phones don't lock themselves after changing to a different carrier's SIM card.  In addition, the phone is working with a different Public Mobile SIM card.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Could it be that your phone is now locked to the network that you used whilst away from Canada ? Which country and what network sim did you use while away ?

edited....I didn't read the 3rd point. Forget what I said. 🤐

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@RodolfoPichardo 

Try cleaning it lightly with a microfibre cloth. Check to see if the SIM tray is damaged or bent.

See if that works. If not then what @computergeek541 indicated that the SIM is probably damaged.

@RodolfoPichardo wrote:

Hello,

I went on a trip out of the Canada, so I removed my Public Mobile SIM card, and replaced it with a local SIM.

When I returned, two weeks later, I put my old Public Mobile SIM card back, but the device does not recognise the SIM card anymore saying "No SIM | Emergency calls only".

I've already tried these:

• Restarted the device (no change)
  • Reseting the network settings (no change)
  • Inserting a different Public Mobile SIM card onto my phone (worked)
  • Inserting my SIM into another phone (it didn't recognise it either)
  • Checked my account online (not disabled - plan is still active).

What else should I try? What are my next steps?

No SIM can indicate a that the phone can't even read it/detect it.  The SIM might now be damaged and need to be replaced.

Need Help? Let's chat.