cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow MMS

DanAR
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I've received 2 text messages, each with a photo attached.They are taking forever to download. In fact, neither has come through after 5 hours of downloading. Data is on wifi throughout.

Is this normal, or a data issue, or a lte issue, or a PM issue?

16 REPLIES 16

@DanAR 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles

scroll down and expand the "categories" menu then pick and choose

DanAR

Thanks. Even more info than what I was expecting.

Since I haven't seen it, if it exists, is there a set of users' hints, tips, shortcuts and techniques that is universally accessible?

DanAR

Thanks.

Appreciate the succinct response. I shoulda known better.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@DanAR wrote:

Thanks. I'm still learning.  What I thought was obvious, isn't. Appreciate this.

@DanAR   BTW if you use the @key it will bring up a list of users in this conversation and you can click on whichever user you are responding to which makes it easier to follow the conversation. 

DanAR

Thanks.

Loads more info than I expected. Great!

DanAR

Thanks. So many people like you helping out is great.

@DanAR wrote:

But does that mean that these attachments will eat into my data plan usage instead of going over wifi?

@DanAR 

• No. Data is used but not charged for MMS/Picture messages. 
  • Caveat: if you use iMessages when away from wifi that will use chargeable data. Rule of thumb: blue messages are iMessages; green are "normal" SMS/MMS.
  • Optimum messsaging setytings for iPhone: Settings >> Messages >> iMessages ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive: should show your PM phone number and Apple id email

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

DanAR

Thanks. I'm still learning.  What I thought was obvious, isn't. Appreciate this.

@DanAR mms text messages uses data, but doesn't count towards your plan data. Stay safe. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@DanAR wrote:

Now here's the thing. I've been turning off mobile data while at home and receiving regular sms messages and downloads and email and calls.

At your suggestion, I turned mobile data on at home, as I would when I'm away from home, and, lo and behold, the pictures showed up. So  you are right.

But does that mean that these attachments will eat into my data plan usage instead of going over wifi?

MMS does NOT use any of your plan data but it must be enabled to send/receive any MMS texts.

DanAR

Now here's the thing. I've been turning off mobile data while at home and receiving regular sms messages and downloads and email and calls.

At your suggestion, I turned mobile data on at home, as I would when I'm away from home, and, lo and behold, the pictures showed up. So  you are right.

tabi159w
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Did you have data enabled? Do you have LTE?

DanAR

They were eventually sent to me from the same iphone by email instead. Each was under 950 kb.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Are they a large file size.

Generally, the compressed image sent by MMS is around 1MB.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@DanAR wrote:

I've received 2 text messages, each with a photo attached.They are taking forever to download. In fact, neither has come through after 5 hours of downloading. Data is on wifi throughout.

Is this normal, or a data issue, or a lte issue, or a PM issue?

@DanAR   Your data is enabled right and not just wifi?  Because  data has to be on to send and receive MMS.  Also reboot your phone.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@DanAR does it normally work good? try restarting your phone.

I've also had some LTE issues.. I'm not sure if itll be related, but I switch to HSPA and then back to LTE. you could also try using HSPA to download the files

Need Help? Let's chat.