cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneous activation and porting failure

Reco
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Dear PM leaders,

I read the community postings before deciding to switch to PM, so I knew that the only support is through this community and with the moderators. I thought as long as I don't make any mistakes and use the more reliable method of IMEI for porting, activation and porting should work for me. Unfortunately, it didn't.

Last night when I tried to activate the SIM card and port my number at the same time, everything seemed to work fine except the last second, after my credit card is charged, the system came back with a message of activation failed.

I understand that these kinds of errors could happen; the reason I am writing is about the process. PM should not charge the credit card, until it is confirmed that the activation has worked. As you would agree, the current process is allowing the charge while customers are not getting the service as long as 10 days (based on community postings). One improvement you could make to increase the customer satisfaction is to change your charging process and incur the charge only after successful activation. It is very frustrating to pay for something and getting no service.

Thanks a lot. 

20 REPLIES 20

Reco

After two hours and couple of reboots, there is no change.

Except, there is a regression, now, I cannot access the parts of the account that would normally show my account details Smiley Sad. It says "Oh no! It looks like something went wrong, but don’t panic."

I will wait until tomorrow.

@clavije wrote:

just do a reboot of your phone and may work right away or tops 1 hour waiting

clavije

just do a reboot of your phone and may work right away or tops 1 hour waiting

Reco

Just now, I said, let me try creating the account again to see what happens, and to my big surprise, the number that I was trying to port is recognized as a Public Mobile number and I was allowed to create an account. Inside the account everything seems to be in order but the phone still works on Rogers but not on Public Mobile network (except the one text that PM sent to the number to convey the verification code has arrived on the phone over PM network when I put the PM SIM in it).

I am guessing that I need to wait couple of days for the switch to take effect or is there anything that I can do?

Thanks.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Can't argue with anything you said. I just hope we get back to normal in the next couple weeks.

Reco

Thank you @Rockdaddy22.

It is frustrating not to receive a response to your private mails from the moderators. I sent one to @Mary_M and another one to @Saray_O.

Based on what I read from this forum, there are too few of these moderators and they are clearly over-worked, but still, a response that says something like "it will take xx days to process your request" would be much better than a complete silence.

When I signed up, I understood that the support is by e-mail and there is no phone support, which is fine with me, but at this point, it is turning into "no support" service. This community is very helpful in answering questions, but at the end, only the moderators can fix the issues and provide the much needed support.

Rockdaddy22
A week at the moment

Reco

Yes, I am %100 sure about the IMEI number because I just got my phone unlocked by Rogers, a day earlier, using this IMEI. And yet, my activation and porting still failed Smiley Sad

What is the SLA for these kinds of issues to be resolved?

Rockdaddy22
If your %100 sure you know what imei number your previous carrier has on file, then it's fine. Account number is just so much easier

Reco

This may be true, but I was referring to the announcement from @Dave_M.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Doing-wireless-different-has-its-ups-and...

I assumed that the information in his announcement is the most accurate one.

@oilblue99 wrote:

One quick note re: "most reliable method" for porting...

Based on what I've read in the PM community from members far more experienced than me, the general consensus is to use Account # only, not the IMEI (I realize one of the Announcements from PM said to use IMEI...). Account # is really the best / easiest to enter for porting.

cheeseburger
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I agree 100% about the most reliable method being account number.

The IMEI suggestion did more bad than good I think.

Much easier to make typing mistakes with IMEI and if you've ever changed your phone the original IMEI won't match the current IMEI leading to port failure.

The less info provided the better here.

oilblue99

One quick note re: "most reliable method" for porting...

Based on what I've read in the PM community from members far more experienced than me, the general consensus is to use Account # only, not the IMEI (I realize one of the Announcements from PM said to use IMEI...). Account # is really the best / easiest to enter for porting.

oilblue99

@Reco

When doing the steps referenced by Luddite, rather than attempting to sign-in at https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/ , be sure to click the "Create" button. The next step should ask for your phone number. Signing in not involved.

Good luck!

[edit: fixed typo...]

Ccardoner
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

I had exactly the same issue. I texted last wee but i did not receive any response from any moderator. this is really frustating....Please let me know if you have any updates...

Cristina

Reco

Thank you, @Luddite. Great post that you provided.

Unfortunately, I cannot login to my account. I am stuck at step 4 :(.

@Luddite wrote:

If this does not cure the problem you are stuck in the queue:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/How-I-fixed-porting-my-mobile-number-and-p...

Reco

Thank you @cheeseburger.

I did send two e-mails to @Mary_M with the requested information.

I see that she is online today and very busy. She seems to be the only mod working today.

@cheeseburger wrote:

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I agree the credit card should not be charged until the activation is successful but I don't know how the backend systems work.

You'll have to get in contact with a moderator if you haven't already. Details here:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Information-required-before-sending-a-me...

Thank you for the calm and coherent post. It sure is refreshing.

If this does not cure the problem you are stuck in the queue:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/How-I-fixed-porting-my-mobile-number-and-p...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Reco

Old SIM works with Rogers, so my service is not disrupted, but as of today, I am paying double.

When I put PM SIM in the phone, it is recognized and I see PM at the top left corner of the phone, but there is no service (no text, nor voice).

cheeseburger
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I agree the credit card should not be charged until the activation is successful but I don't know how the backend systems work.

You'll have to get in contact with a moderator if you haven't already. Details here:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Information-required-before-sending-a-me...

Thank you for the calm and coherent post. It sure is refreshing.

Do you have any services, either with your old SIM or the PM SIM?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

daredogg
Mayor / Maire
That's good sage advice!
Need Help? Let's chat.