cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim card not recognized

ganguy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an iPhone6 which is unlocked. I bought the Sim card and a plan and went through the activation process. When I insert the Sim card I get the following message: "the Sim card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another Sim card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."
Can anyone help me with this?

50 REPLIES 50

@computergeek541 

Well I got an answer from a moderator as my post triggered the spam filter for using the short form for the world wide web in the link I tried to provide. When I replied to the message I got a warning  telling me I used a bad word in my post. After deleting a few things I had to delete the subject line from the moderator because it contained the three letters...

So they are working on fixing that....

@softech 

So you were thinking in the right direction of what was causing the error messages.

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

Is there any particular reason pm wouldn't let me post the verizon and at&t links? I got the usual message about an invalid html in my message and the second time I hit post I got that second warning?

This is likely an attempt to prevent people from posting spam-like messages. While, Verizon and AT&T aren't competitors, I do also suspect that Public Mobile would not want thiis website to possibly become a tool for people too find out about plans from competitors.  Of course, this is speculation.

@darlicious 

post an image of that link.. let us try  to see.. LoL

or.. maybe try breaking the link apart.. and without https:// like what i did.. we will decode it back with Univac 5000

@Anonymous @softech 

Well lets just see if I still have a problem with the at&t link...

.....nope get the same message! Maybe its from that stupid OliverMoore guy posting links to gambling sites?

@darlicious look like they don't like my https and @ symbol.

1.  I posted.. look ok.. then I found it it got into Unmoderated box after couple minutes

2.  The next time I posted.. once it hit the post.. it gives me the error in red (forgot what it said.. i didn't bother to read. but i keep clicking post and not work)... ended up i removed https:// out of the link and replace @ with AT  and then it went through

3. I think the error came for me yesterday at one point i was just posting a link about an older Community post

I think today I did posted some links and no issue.

@Anonymous 

Ok....

http://cbc.ca/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not me. I wonder if it's defending against phishing. I also got the error.

http://cbc.ca - test that

It doesn't like w w w

http://verizon.com

@softech 

Did you get that weird second message?

@darlicious  I got some issues posting link an email address yesterday too..

i was just posting the link to check wireless towers... and I was posting fake (sample) gmail address explaining alias.. i wasn't able to ..

Today, it seems ok for me..

@ganguy 

I'm happy to hear at&t unlocked it for you. 

@computergeek541 

Is there any particular reason pm wouldn't let me post the verizon and at&t links? I got the usual message about an invalid html in my message and the second time I hit post I got that second warning?

@ganguy wrote:

It works, it works!

I really appreciate all the help from the members of this community. This is my first SmartPhone (as you can tell) and its all new to me. I have used it as a drone controller, but with no phone contract. Now I'm hooked up.

Thanks to everybody, and now we can close this thread!

Yeah!!!  🎆

So, it works after you connect the phone to the computer via USB?

@ganguy wrote:

I contacted AT&T and sure enough they replied and said they had unlocked the phone for me. Their instructions then were to remove the old Sim card, load the new Sim card and complete the set up process. So I put in the new PM Sim card, and I get the screen "activation required"
I thought I had already activated the card online, so I'm not sure what the next steps are.
Help if you can, and it will be appreciated!

In this case, "activatiion" isn't about enabling the SIM card in the Public Mobile end, but rather with Apple's setup procedures.  iPhone devices check with Apple via the internet during this process to check if your carrier's SIM card can be used/check if the phone is unlocked.

ganguy

It works, it works!

I really appreciate all the help from the members of this community. This is my first SmartPhone (as you can tell) and its all new to me. I have used it as a drone controller, but with no phone contract. Now I'm hooked up.

Thanks to everybody, and now we can close this thread!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ganguy : How nice of AT&T. Can you log in to your self-serve account under My Account top right then left side?

Maybe you also need to connect via USB to a computer with itunes (or whatever it's called now) and check for any updates.

ganguy

I contacted AT&T and sure enough they replied and said they had unlocked the phone for me. Their instructions then were to remove the old Sim card, load the new Sim card and complete the set up process. So I put in the new PM Sim card, and I get the screen "activation required"
I thought I had already activated the card online, so I'm not sure what the next steps are.
Help if you can, and it will be appreciated!

@ganguy 

Looks like pm won't let me post links to american mobile providers!

Screenshot_20210506-141917.png

ganguy

Previousowner says it was AT&T, not Verizon. Is the PUK where I would enter the unlock code?

ganguy

I was finally able to get to the home screen and the phone seems to be working like a tablet but after reinserting the public Sim card, and back to the same screen about not recognizing the Sim card.

@ganguy 

Weirder still I can't post the link included in my post.....

Screenshot_20210506-105529.png

ganguy

Tried that, it didn't work. This is a bit peculiar because I have used the device in the Wi-Fi mode in the past, to control my drone. But now I can't access the home screen at all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ganguy : From what I can tell, that phone should be fine here. It might have been an original AT&T phone.

If it is in fact a still locked phone then there are third-party unlocking services out there. With the added complication of being a US phone, a carrier wouldn't have any obligation to do anything for you. So you just might have to pony up with a service.

Edit: there is a version having the same model# that includes CDMA but also all that you need here. Is there a way to make the phone not be CDMA? Dunno.

ganguy

I'm pretty sure she is still a Verizon customer, as a matter fact she's an IT gal, and Verizon was one of her customers!
She still incommunicado but I'm hoping to reach her today and see if we can work that out. That will be a great step forward.

@ganguy 

Take the sim card out you should be able to access all your phone features ( like about phone in your settings) without a sim card inserted.

ganguy

You're right, that writing is really tiny. The model number is A1549

@ganguy 

Your phone is locked to verizon. Is your daughter still a customer? That would be the easiest way to get it unlocked would be for her to speak to them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ganguy : I'm not an Apple guy...isn't the model # printed on the back? Barely visible such as it is. Pull out the magnifying glass or reverse binoculars.

ganguy

I can't find the model number because I can't get past the PUK screen

ganguy

I still have Mexican Sim card although it is long since expired I put it in and connected to iTunes. It recognize the phone, said it was  successfully updated, and then switch to a screen which says "enter PUK your Sim cannot be access please call your carrier to obtain your PUK code"

this is an iPhone 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ganguy : I know softech posted a couple model numbers but you haven't answered which one you actually have. Could you?

@ganguy  if you still have the same Mexico SIM or the Verizon SIM around.  You can try to put them in.  One of them, you shouldn't get the same error, which will indicate it is locked to that particular carrier 

Need Help? Let's chat.