cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutdown an account

aw_mobile
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I have an old account that could not be accessed by me nor a customer support agent because inputting the correct password was locking me out of the account and I had 2FA enabled. My service wasn't working, and public mobile's email reset function wasn't working either for some reason. So the agent told me to get a new sim card and set up a new account. The problem is that I want to use my old email with this new account, but the registration won't let me. How can I shut the old account down so that I can use my email with the new account?

66 REPLIES 66

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@aw_mobile 

Finally! Are they going to credit your account for your out-of-pocket expenses when you activated the other account? And I would ask for an additional $15 credit for all the hassle the original agent put you through.

Either that or tell them they have to buy pizza and beer for everybody that helped you in this thread. 😃🍕🍺🤪🍻

The universe is unfolding as it should. Did they credit you back what you paid for that alternate account?

aw_mobile

So I got in touch with a CSA who assigned a 3rd sim card to my old account (public mobile had sent me 2 sim cards for $10) and now it's services are finally working on the old number and email address. They explained that the original sim card was likely magnetized and was not picking up service any longer. Then they shutdown my alternate account. I got into my self-serve with a temp password they provided and changed the password and disabled the 2FA, so that problem is solved.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv 

Do you mean to get OP's plan services working? Because the account is now active the problem is now the SIM card either needs provisioning or replacing. Unfortunately had the CSA not suggested to activate the SIM card with a new plan and service the OP would have an unactivated SIM card to swap within his account.

@aw_mobile wrote:

No the fraud report was because someone accessed my bank account and was trying to transfer money via paypal out of my bank account, so my bank froze the card, then notified me and issued a fraud claim on my behalf. None of the PM payments were reversed.

edit to add @aw_mobile 

I am hoping with all this back and forth here in the community forum (with other members, just like yourself), you are also in private messages with a Public Mobile representative (CSA), are you?

So do you have another card you can give the CSA to add to your account and get your account active again?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

That would be a poorly trained public mobile employee.

Ok. So they can do that. Good to know. Thanks for that. So all you had was simply a missed autopay. Then you had 90 days to reactivate. How ever on earth did this get dragged out to such a saga? 🙂

aw_mobile

No the fraud report was because someone accessed my bank account and was trying to transfer money via paypal out of my bank account, so my bank froze the card, then notified me and issued a fraud claim on my behalf. None of the PM payments were reversed.

@aw_mobile wrote:

I got the impression that the card was canceled due to a fraud situation and the payment failed on the account.

Yes, the card was frozen. The only reversal the bank did was on the suspicious transfers.

If the bank did a reversal on the suspicious transfers (you mean the public mobile ones that you reported as fraud?), then that would have made your public mobile number/account unusable, as this have happened with others.

It is nice that you are keeping us apprised of your situation @aw_mobile , but I hope you are being persistent with the customer support agent(s) to get your account up and running again. Keep on them until this is resolved.

Hopefully, this gets resolved very soon!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@aw_mobile 

Okay then contact customer support and ask them to reset your account and reprovision your sim card. You will probably be asked to reboot your phone as well.

Out of curiosity have you tried your old SIM card in any other phone and see if you can get the services to work? That will sometimes reprovision a SIM card although I do believe you need it to be done from the back end.

aw_mobile

I got the impression that the card was canceled due to a fraud situation and the payment failed on the account.

Yes, the card was frozen. The only reversal the bank did was on the suspicious transfers.

@darlicious- Certainly possible. My understanding of frauds is that the card issuer will simply stop the card and go back a period of time and do chargebacks. Maybe that's not always.

But this customer did have those difficulties. They also got a "temporary password". But maybe I've mis-read. Wouldn't be the first time. At least I own up to it.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Did @aw_mobile confirm that this was a chargeback situation? I got the impression that the card was canceled due to a fraud situation and the payment failed on the account. Then the OP assumed because there was no service that the account was deactivated.

I think the situation here is that the SIM card needs to be reprovisioned to the account. Because the SIM card is picking up the network signal but it's just not allowing services to work on the SIM card. If public mobile had enacted their charge back policy on this account the OP never would have been able to log into it in the first place because they disable the login and suspend the service. The customer then gets a message telling them to come to the community for help when they try to log in.

Edit:

If lost/stolen was enabled on the account the services would not have reactivated at all that would have happened with the voucher payment would be the $$ amount added to the available funds.

@aw_mobile 

If you have sent a message back to the CSA I think you just need to ask them to reprovision your sim card to your account and reset the account and that should set up your service to be working.

What the problem with your email is seems to be a problem on public mobile's side that a ticket with the tech team needs to be opened up to sort that out. 

@dust2dust   Ahh...okay, yep chargeback is dodgy.  Thanks for the clarification.

@dabr- Maybe, but he can't login anyway. It would appear it turns out that this was a chargeback situation.

@aw_mobile    Sorry, if this was asked before (or is even relevant) as I've not read through all the replies, but your account wasn't suspended using the Lost/Stolen option by any chance?  If it was, you'd need to Resume service before the payment can be applied or maybe CSA can to that for you.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Yes I think so too. Or continue the existing ongoing one. I'm not sure what they need to do at their end when the account gets affected by a chargeback. Maybe they need to flip a switch and reawaken the sim on the account now that they see it's paid. You will likely need to do voucher payments for a while though.

HI @aw_mobile 

I think you need to open ticket with CS agent and get them to check.  Your account  is there, just not sure if the sim is the weakest link now.

aw_mobile

It's a temp password so it has expired. I've tested it.

aw_mobile

The notification tab is showing full network bars. But sim card status says "emergency calls only/Mobile Network State: Disconnected/Service State: Out of Service, etc

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Well we're certainly getting somewhere. So you have a supposedly active account good for another 30 days. Can you still use the temporary password you got to login to the account?

Hi @aw_mobile   reboot your phone once more time.  Using voucher to reactivate a suspended account take a bit of time

Also, when you put the old sim card into the phone, is there any error showing on the phone? you see it connected to the network or not?  Any status bars?

aw_mobile

I says my renewal date is Sept 30th 2022.

I mentioned yesterday that I was told the email function doesn't work. I tried it again today and it still doesn't send anything to my email address.

Ok. Baby steps. Good. So that balance of $3, does it also say that your next renewal is in the future?

Does your registered email still work? You should be able to get a code to it.

aw_mobile

I refilled my old sim account with a voucher for slightly more than the amount owed. When I call the PM number and type in my old phone number, it used to say that my service was suspended. Now it no longer does this and says my balance is about $3. But when I put in the old sim card in my phone and try to use any services, I get the same no service/emergency calls only message. Trying to change my self-serve account password by texting a code to my old number does nothing.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I'm troubled by the 611 messaging. What recording do you get when you dial that toll free mentioned and enter the old phone number?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@aw_mobile 

Just read the instructions in mu post that I linked and ensure that the public mobile voucher you get equals or exceeds the plan amount of your old account plan and add it either through 611 or dialing 1855 4 PUBLIC and enter your 10-digit phone number of your old account. Once you do that you press (1) and then press (1) again and enter the 12 digit PIN# from the voucher.

Once you reactivate that account and gain access then we'll discuss getting you compensation but let's get you in your account and it working first.

aw_mobile

Dialing *611 with the old sim just brings up a message on the screen saying the service is down.

Ok I will get a voucher to try this method.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Ok so where @aw_mobile are you located? Are you with somewhere remote where you do not have access to buy public mobile vouchers? On the first page I did post the link to my thread where you can buy public mobile vouchers that are instantly loadable onto your account which will instantly reactivate your account.

What I don't understand is why the customer support agent did not explain to you your options instead told you to buy a new SIM card and activate a new service he wasted your time and money. And put you through a whole load of frustration because he or she doesn't know how to do their job.

Go purchase a public mobile voucher or actually now that I think of it there's nothing stopping the customer support agent who wasted your time and money by telling you to create a new account and buy a new SIM card from taking that amount of money that you wasted and crediting your old account with the same amount of money which will automatically reactivate your account problem solved. You can then log in disable 2FA reset your password and you're back in service with your old account.

@darlicious- The credit card is the problem.

Need Help? Let's chat.