cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I remove my sim when going to the US to avoid roaming charges?

Jasok
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm going to the US side of Niagara falls for 2 hours. I have a prepaid public Mobile plan. Will there be roaming charges or no if I dont have a US add on? 

6 REPLIES 6

Ibby2005
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If your with Public Mobile there are no surprise charges... Unless you have top up money in your account and you use a feature then you will get charged.

Just to add to what others have said, the only service that is enabled by default in the US is incoming text messages, which are free.

Keljai
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was just over at Buffalo over the weekend. It will not charge you anything since it is prepaid unless you added the add-on. In such, no need!

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jasok, you definitely don't need to worry when you go to the U.S.  When I went to New York last year I didn't include any talk and text options, just the data.  I actually forgot about it and made a call but then an automated system came up and then I got a text saying to add the service to my plan.  So it's pretty much impossible to get overage charges or roaming fees with this company.  Only downside is if you have an emergency and you didn't add the service or you ran out, you can be somewhat screwed for that moment.  So definitely do some homework beforehand so you're not stranded.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile is all prepaid. You can only access services you have already paid for.

So if you want US roaming you need to buy US roaming add-on. Otherwise the phone will just not work if it's unable to connect to a Canadian Tower.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Jasok

Since Public mobile is prepaid, you will not be charged for roaming if you do not have a roaming add on, etc.  That is the good thing about Public Mobile.  So, just keep your SIM card in your phone....

Need Help? Let's chat.