cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service issue or Telus weakening public mobile signal?

rlefe0321
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

In my area I’ve gradually noticed more weak spots with public mobile and more dropped calls. I’ve done some testing by inserting a Telus SIM card in my phone and getting full bars where as only getting a single bar or 2 with public mobile sim. In the same way, my wife’s phone has a Telus e-sim and a public mobile SIM card. See the image attached.. 

I thought public mobile used the same service as Telus? I think Telus is somehow offering a weaker signal for public mobile customers. If not, can anyone explain this problem to me? For the record we both have LTE plans and I turn off 5G for the Telus e-sim. (My phone doesn’t even support 5G).

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 19.18.17.jpeg

11 REPLIES 11

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

Radio access network is controlled through software... it's a router...

@rlefe0321 

her device could be giving priority to the esim. is iPhone x volte compatible at PM? you can ask customer support to reset the network on their end to see if that changes anything. they'll probably ask you to take the sim out for 5 mins. if your phone isn't volte compatible then your call quality will continue to degrade as 3g is disappearing 

You would really need RSRP values and band info to determine if there's a coverage difference. This should be done on the same phone while stationary.

The RAN does not treat PM users any differently than Telus users.

HI @rlefe0321 

interesting finding.  We have many confirmation that there is definitely no network priority here with Telus/Bell/PM, all have the exact same level of access fairly

I can only say make sure carrier profile is updated, make sure you have the latest iOS

rlefe0321
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for all the replies. I wonder if what @gpixel says is true as that would make the most sense about being redirected to other/further away towers. I live in Northern Ontario when we maybe don’t have the same capacity as in the city. My phone is an iPhone X and my Wife’s is an iPhone 13 mini (pictured in post). She has a esim with Telus (turned 5G off to take photo to compare LTE connections). When I insert a Telus SIM card in my phone from a friend I get much better service in the same locations than my PM sim. I don’t know how else to explain it but what @gpixel kinda confirms that what I thought.. for the record I have zero issues in the city but when in more rural areas which is where I reside it is a problem. I have tried to reset my network settings as suggested, I have also played with 3G/LTE settings (which does help for calls but the internet is terribly slow) and I even try to manually select PM network but that doesn’t help unfortunately.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@rlefe0321 

it's possible the public sim is being diverted to a tower further away. there are too many variables at play trees, esim, etc. however, PM customers will be rerouted to a further tower when a closer tower is oversaturated. Telus, bell etc. will have priority to the towers as they pay more money for their service. for dropped calls that would be more on the device not using 'volte' and switching to 3g for a phone call. the screenshot doesn't tell the whole story because the device itself could be deciding which network it wants to prioritize. the best test will be to use one sim at a time.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

What happens if you compare eSIM with eSIM, or physical SIM with another physical SIM?

The network is exactly the same.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Thought I'd add.

I have both as well. But two different phones. PM is on XR and Telus is on SE2020 and both have 5 bars. But I turned off automatic on both chose Telus/Public Mobile as my networks. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@rlefe0321 , what phone is that?  Public Mobile is owned by Telus and uses the exact same towers.  The only explanation for differences in signal strength is due to connections being made to different networks (3G/4G/5G).  Please check that both connections are to the same network type.  I like to use this android app to check stats on the network connection such as location cell towers, band frequency, etc.  

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en&gl=US

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@rlefe0321 - i often have 1 or 2 bars on my phone, but never have an issue with service. When you take a call or make a call, do you notice the bars go up? As long as you are not seeing 'zero' bars. 

But you don't want to be having dropped calls, that's for sure.

Try doing a reset of the device's network settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, VPN and APN settings, and connected Bluetooth devices that you've used before.

Iphone: To Reset Network Settings, begin by opening the Settings app. Next, tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. and enter your passcode. Your iPhone will reset network settings and restart itself.

Try manually select the 3G / WCDMA ONLY network in your Mobile Connections area in your settings (temporarily) for dropping or unable to make incoming/outgoing calls. But I would not suggest to leave it on this setting, best for Automatic I would say.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Question, when you're on the PM SIM, are you picking PM in network settings or leaving it on Automatic. Because that could be a reason. It's reading off a different "borrowed" tower like Bell.

Need Help? Let's chat.