cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sequence and Timing of Porting in a Number

koalakid
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I currently have a Koodo account and I want to join Public Mobile instead and port my number.

Should I create a Public Mobile account with a new number first and then request to port my number over? Or do I start fresh at Public Mobile by having them create a new account for me with my existing Koodo phone number, and if so, I'm confused as to how I contact an agent at Public Mobile to do that? And is it Public Mobile that I tell I want the number ported, or do I call Koodo and tell them that?

I want to avoid paying for both accounts at once. If I port the number, will my Koodo account be automatically cancelled and I stop paying there immediately, or will I still have to pay at Koodo for another 30 days or some notice I need to give them (I know I should ask Koodo this, but I can't even schedule a callback with them for two days, and I'm asking in general what happens with people's existing carriers billi). If I do need to give my existing carrier Koodo some kind of notice like 30 days, would I then wait till day 29, create a Public Mobile account, and ask to have the number ported then in order to avoid paying for two different carriers for a whole month?

2 REPLIES 2

eddieO
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@koalakidPublic Mobile is a self service carrier so you can install the PM app on your phone (which is required to complete the activation) or you can start the process on Public Mobile's website. At one of the last steps you will be asked if you want a new number or if you want to transfer an existing number 

If transferring in do not enter the IMEI number, instead provide the old account number and keep your old SIM card in your phone as you will receive a text confirming you are transferring out

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @koalakid 

You can do it both ways actually. Some people find it easier to just sign up and get a temporary number, then once service is up and running, in other words, make calls, receive calls, texting works and data works, you can go into your profile and port over your Koodo number. That seems to be the most easiest way.

Need Help? Let's chat.