cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self suspension and voicemail

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

I have a friend who wants to suspend their service  for a couple of months  is there any real difference between using lost/stolen to do it or allowing the autopay to fail ?

( the card has a hold on it)

Once suspended what happens to the voicemail? Can you access it ? What's the message?

@Nezgar  I might as well tag you right away.......

19 REPLIES 19

@darlicious wrote:

@Nezgar @Anonymous 

The bf's phone was called from  both of my numbers to access voicemail. Maybe voicemail is accessible for the next 30 days only? Once it hits the second renewal with no payment it will cease to function?

@dabr 

Okay I'm noticing one difference....atm the bf's phone is inaccessible so it has not been used at all since week before suspension so maybe you have access to the voicemail until you use your phone/SIM card to access the voicemail then it's a one time only because the system knows your phone is no longer lost/stolen?

@darlicious   I'm not too sure but I think it's more than possible that accessing voicemail might be possible within the first 30 days of suspension.  Maybe also as to how the account is suspended?  Not sure, but I haven't suspended using the lost/stolen feature, just removed my CC from the account.

@Nezgar @Anonymous 

The bf's phone was called from  both of my numbers to access voicemail. Maybe voicemail is accessible for the next 30 days only? Once it hits the second renewal with no payment it will cease to function?

@dabr 

Okay I'm noticing one difference....atm the bf's phone is inaccessible so it has not been used at all since week before suspension so maybe you have access to the voicemail until you use your phone/SIM card to access the voicemail then it's a one time only because the system knows your phone is no longer lost/stolen?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Nezgar wrote:

@Anonymous 

When you say you "can't get to voicemail" can you clarify each of these scenarios?

- someone calling your mobile number

- using your suspended mobile to check voicemail by calling own number

- using your suspended mobile to check voicemail by calling an access number directly (ie 306-580-4001)

- using a landline to call a voicemail access number directly (ie 306-580-4001)

Cheers! -N

So @darlicious : try again.

I got different results with pressing and holding 1 to manually dialing an access number and trying again.

The first try I pressed and held 1 on the handset with suspended SIM in...in few words...the guy says no active account.

I then tried one of the 4001 numbers and it worked. Then I tried another 4001 number and the call just ends with nothing. Then I tried the first one again and now nothing. Then I tried 1 again...nothing. Just beep..end. 

If I try to call the actual phone number from another phone I get nothing.

Calling my number from the handset I get the guy again saying no active account.

All my business is with Telus and so I can't try accessing voicemail from another phone at this time.

@Anonymous   Haven't read all this thread but I'll confirm that I can't access voicemail on my suspended account either, just some message about needing an active account and how to make a payment.  Also tried calling the suspended no. from a non Telus line and just get a busy signal.  Maybe I'm not doing something right about trying to access voicemail from another line.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar wrote:

@Anonymous 

When you say you "can't get to voicemail" can you clarify each of these scenarios?

- using your suspended mobile to check voicemail by calling an access number directly (ie 306-580-4001)

Cheers! -N

So @darlicious : try again.

I got different results with pressing and holding 1 to manually dialing an access number and trying again.

The first try I pressed and held 1 on the handset with suspended SIM in...in few words...the guy says no active account.

I then tried one of the 4001 numbers and it worked. Then I tried another 4001 number and the call just ends with nothing. Then I tried the first one again and now nothing. Then I tried 1 again...nothing. Just beep..end. 

If I try to call the actual phone number from another phone I get nothing.

Calling my number from the handset I get the guy again saying no active account.

So maybe you get one chance and then you're done.

But yes a slight retraction apology of my forthrightness. Not all the way 🙂

Edit: update. I put the phone back into airplane mode and left it as usual. Then I thought hey try it again out of airplane mode. No active service guy. But at least not just beep...end.

All my business is with Telus and so I can't try accessing voicemail from another phone at this time.

@Anonymous 

Cheers! -N

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

It was self suspended just before renewal via lost/stolen. We've both learned something new today. I won't have to ask the question twice. Y'all have a nice day now. Ya hear!😉

edit nvm

@Nezgar: edit misread.

I have an account in suspension now due to lack of payment. I can't get to voicemail. I'll be reactivating it next week and I'll try the self-suspend and test darlicious's findings. Very interesting. Perhaps just another undocumented bug/feature from self-suspend.

@Anonymous 

It was self suspended just before renewal via lost/stolen. We've both learned something new today. I won't have to ask the question twice. Y'all have a nice day now. Ya hear!😉

@Nezgar 

Its two days after renewal but I'll check periodically and report back.

Interesting. I would think it reasonable to allow receiving and checking of voicemail if it's still before your current plans expiry date, but I am curious if this is still the case for the 90 days after a plan expires...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Nezgar 

That's pretty much what i had figured....now what happens to voicemail? Does that cease functioning?

Seriously!? Is this another one of those infamous brain farts people are having these days? C'mon! No. Nothing works except 611 to happily take your money.

Can we lock this thread please?

@Anonymous  Well here's something for ya........YOURE WRONG! Out of an unfortunate circumstance the bf needed to access his voicemail today but what to do its suspended!!? Much to my surprise voicemail still works!!! Perhaps there's a better place for that lock?

@darlicious 

Excellent. Never too proud to learn something new. Is it self-suspended? Or suspended for lack of payment? Or self-suspended now after the normal renewal date?

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Nezgar 

That's pretty much what i had figured....now what happens to voicemail? Does that cease functioning?

Seriously!? Is this another one of those infamous brain farts people are having these days? C'mon! No. Nothing works except 611 to happily take your money.

@Anonymous  Well here's something for ya........YOURE WRONG! Out of an unfortunate circumstance the bf needed to access his voicemail today but what to do its suspended!!? Much to my surprise voicemail still works!!! Perhaps there's a better place for that lock?

@Anonymous 

Wow as i go thru my notifications I see you've really developed a theory about whats going on with me.....why dont you just report your theory rather than making snide comments here there and everywhere?

I was actually going to give the solution to you but your lack of customer service skills (I am still a customer) put me off..... @gblackma actually nailed it. I was pressed for time before renewal kicked in and because there was no access to the phone in question and the voicemail was full I wasn't sure if you could still access it or not to get the messages at a later time once suspended.

@gblackma 

BTW...I chose to leave autopay enabled and used lost/stolen to suspend the account just before midnite et.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gblackma wrote:

Sometimes @Anonymous  , at least with me, a subject that I would be able to answer 99.99% of the time will elude me. And If I'm pressed for time like @darlicious seems to be here, I would ask too. Stay safe. 

@gblackma 

The OP asked a simple basic question. The OP has used the suspend function many times. The OP frequently boasts about using search.

If it was someone new I would be far more understanding. Not a high-participating regular. Especially a regular well-known for stirring the pot around here.

Sometimes @Anonymous  , at least with me, a subject that I would be able to answer 99.99% of the time will elude me. And If I'm pressed for time like @darlicious seems to be here, I would ask too. Stay safe. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gblackma 

I would be 100% certain that the OP knows full well the ins and outs of this topic.

The OP may as well let the cat in from chasing crows, plunk it down at the keyboard to answer and then give it the solution. That would be the whipped cream on top of the pie.

@darlicious the only reason to use lost/ stolen would be that the balance in the account is higher than your plan. Try the following below instead. Should save them the trouble of readding the credit card. Stay safe. 

To disable autopay (without removing the credit card).
1. Go the "Payment" tab
2. Click the BIG "Manage Autopay" icon beside "One time payment"
3. Then click "Remove Autopay"

4. To confirm check to see if the $2 autopay discount is gone from the overview page.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Nezgar 

@Nezgar 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

I don't know the nuances of lost/stolen... But if your balance doesn't have enough to cover the next month, I'd just disable autopay and then you can use it up until the end of your current 30 days term. Maybe you'd have to use lost/stolen to stop it from using your balance to renew if it would otherwise cover it...

Well, actually here it is right from the FAQ: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/sk/get-help/articles/lost-or-stolen-phone

"If your Phone is lost or stolen, you can Suspend your service if you’d like to prevent any calls or messages from being sent or received. Doing so will not keep your plan from expiring; however, it will ensure that your credit card is not charged at your next renewal date if you’re on AutoPay."

Voicemail won't work on suspended accounts.

Need Help? Let's chat.