cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security

Tarl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a co-worker that was thinking of changing over to public mobile from telus.  Our boss told him that he thought public mobile probably doesn't have as much security on their information compared to telus.  Is there any truth to that or does it mostly just come down to how vigilant you are with passwords and your personal information?

6 REPLIES 6

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Tarl 

PM is not hiding issues because of the online support.  All problems and issues are showing on this community forum.  People may have a bad impression about PM by reading community posts 

While Telus support by call center, Telus may have the same issues as PM and no body knows other than the Telus support manager.

As other already pointed out, safe guarding the password is the most important people can do to avoid scammer to get into PM account.  Don't reuse same password for all online account.  Don't use the name of your dog or cat as your password.  Scammer read your facebook posts to find your name, your pets name.  If you are using your name or your pet's name as password, don't blame on the mobile provider for the security bleach.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Tarl yes, you can request for port block features on your Telus/Koodo account

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

not sure if there is any fact to prove: " public mobile probably doesn't have as much security on their information compared to telus. " 

to be honest.. for a publicly traded company, data breaches on PM would not be any better than data breaches on Koodo or Telus itself.   

cin7
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
I too think it comes down to being careful with passwords and handling personal information.

This website - https://haveibeenpwned.com/ - sheds much insight into this issue, providing a way to check if emails and passwords have been compromised.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Tarl 

I feel it all comes down to personal vigilance and awareness.

There are some members on this community who post personal information on this forum - which means that they're probably not taking the time to read about the forum before they start posting information.

An equal number of users might include personal information in their usernames which is also highly discouraged.

I feel that because Public Mobile is completely online - there's a lot of people who have a steep learning curve.  Some are ready for it - some are not

It's all really about understanding what you're signing up for and doing your homework beforehand.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Tarl wrote:

I have a co-worker that was thinking of changing over to public mobile from telus.  Our boss told him that he thought public mobile probably doesn't have as much security on their information compared to telus.  Is there any truth to that or does it mostly just come down to how vigilant you are with passwords and your personal information?

Public Mobile is owned by Telus. Telus also owns Koodo. I agree with you that it comes down to how strong your password is and how guarded your personal information is. Use a dedicated email account with a strong password for Public Mobile. Do not use any identifiers in you email account.

There are instances of customers getting sim jacked if you search posts in this community. I am not sure how these numbers compare to other carriers.

Need Help? Let's chat.