cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung flip phone

ddaacc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a phone for my mom. She can't handle smartphone and use the basic samsung SGH-C414Y flip phone. For some reason it is unable to connect to public mobile. I know the phone is unlocked. Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

ddaacc

Thank you very much for your knowledgeable answer. I think you are probably right. Just need to get a newer flip phone for my mom.

surreyboyz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@ddaacc, The Reason why its not working is because there were two versions of the Samsung C414. One was compatiable with 3G Networks of the large Providers in Canada and the other version was compatible with 3G Network Band 4 of Wind/Mobilicity. The Reason why it worked with chatr is because both versions have a 2G Network Radio so that is why it worked with Chatr on 2G. Public Mobile doesn't have a 2G Network so that is why your Mobilicity/Wind C414 won't work. 

@ddaacc wrote:

My mom has been using it for years with Mobilicity and then Chatr.

I tried connecting manually but can't find Public Mobile's network.

I strongly suspect that your phone is not compatible - as in almost sure. 

I'm fully aware that there is a version of the C414 that Bell Mobility sold.  That one would be compatible with Public Mobile.

However, since you say that you used this phone at Mobilicity for "years", Mobilicity was using UMTS 1700MHz (Band 4).  I suspect that the "Y" in the C414Y is a variant that sold by Mobilicity that was compatible with that frequency. 

This phone was sold back in a day (around 2011) that most phones did not have compatibility with 850/1900MHz and 1700MHz UMTS at the same time.  There were usually separate variants, and it was usually one or the other.

When you say, "Mobilcity", I am going to assume that you used this there before Rogers bought them and before the network change-over. If that's the case, your phone is probably a variant with only UMTS Band 4.  And, if that's the case, the reason it works at Chatr would be because Rogers still has 2g GSM.  In short, I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money (figuratively, probably even literally) that  your phone is not compatible at all with Public Mobile.

ddaacc

My mom has been using it for years with Mobilicity and then Chatr.

I tried connecting manually but can't find Public Mobile's network.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@ddaacc wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a phone for my mom. She can't handle smartphone and use the basic samsung SGH-C414Y flip phone. For some reason it is unable to connect to public mobile. I know the phone is unlocked. Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

According to GSM arena and https://willmyphonework.net/ this phone has the 850 and 1900 MHz bands so it should be working.

You are sure the phone has not been accidently reported as lost or stolen?

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Have you tried manually connecting to public mobile in the network settings?

Need Help? Let's chat.