cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS service down

bigdogbrown
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a basic talk and data plan and once again I am unable to send out SMSs, but I do receive them right now. This has happened a number of times throughout the course of my service with this group. Customer Support can't provide a reason for this and every time it has happened it just fixed on its own after days of nothing. Has anyone else had problems as of this week? 

13 REPLIES 13

@bigdogbrown- Great news. I would have been quite convinced that the problem was with the phone settings.

@CountyDownIeUk- So with that, should the customer have to wait for someone of any particular expertise to reply? I don't think so. As for "training", I would think most people would have someone close that they could lean on for tips and tricks and how-tos rather than going off somewhere to get a diploma (being facetious obvs) on how to run their phone.

But when I'm out of ideas for iphones, I have been calling for you. So thanks.

@dust2dust wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk- Then why do we get this dang question so often? Hey I can only "text" when I'm on wifi - don't I have texting in my plan? That's just ridiculous to me. Then we have to go into a phone training session to inform people of all of this. Not with Android...by default.

Right. Apple does offer training with a new purchase. And they have everything documented as well. Check here then select iOS and read or download to books. <== This link should be the response. Then review texting and iMessaging. Does any one want to read and educate them selves any more? Or drop by an Apple store and ask? Be it Apple or be it Android......educate yourself. And if you not a pro (not meaning @dust2dust ) then simply don’t respond. There are numerous types of issues I won’t try to help with....like phone compatibility, data, suspending etc. 

bigdogbrown

Hi everyone, Just wanted to provide an update that CS has resolved this for me. They had to reboot the network tied to my account. My service has been restored and works fine. Thanks for everyone's input! Apple to Apple works fine Apple to anyone else was the issue but it is fixed now. Cheers!

[✔️ ...... Luddite]

@CountyDownIeUk- Then why do we get this dang question so often? Hey I can only "text" when I'm on wifi - don't I have texting in my plan? That's just ridiculous to me. Then we have to go into a phone training session to inform people of all of this. Not with Android...by default.

@dust2dust wrote:

I shake my head at the stupid complexity of Apple's imessage. Isn't their marketing all about ease of use? Oh, only for Apple to Apple. Ridiculous.

iMessage is apple to apple, yes. But there are no changes in settings to text to an android. 

Maybe @CountyDownIeUk might join in. Are you sending to email addresses or phone numbers? Isn't there a press and hold option to force it to send as SMS.

One must update their settings that best suit them. It can be done.  Yes there is a press and hold. I send to phone numbers only unless someone does not have a phone at all and has an iPad or iPod...then to their email address.  

I shake my head at the stupid complexity of Apple's imessage. Isn't their marketing all about ease of use? Oh, only for Apple to Apple. Ridiculous.

Maybe @CountyDownIeUk might join in. Are you sending to email addresses or phone numbers? Isn't there a press and hold option to force it to send as SMS.

bigdogbrown

Thanks for your reply. The issue I have isn't with iMessage at all. I am surrounded by wifi so I always have an internet connection. I am very aware of my data consumption and set limits to always stay within 200mbs and keep 50 as a buffer. If I were to attempt to send an SMS to an iPhone user instead of an iMessage, it will fail and say could not be delivered.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

With limited data plans like you have, you really need to nail down data consumption. iMessage wants to use the internet for its built-in old timey instant messaging system. It's not real SMS texting.

In imessage settings, turn on send as SMS and turn on send as MMS. Send to phone numbers, not email addresses. You could even turn off imessage at this time which would turn it into a standard SMS texting app.

bigdogbrown

I have the cheapest talk plan with 250mb of data and 100 mins of talk time.

bigdogbrown

Thanks for the reply everyone! I have escalated this to CS. I use an iPhone 12 mini. I have had issues just like this for no reason in the past as well. I use the native messages app for iPhone. It works fine for iMessage users because that works through wifi and not cellular. I have made no changes to my phone to have the service stop working. Grateful for any suggestions you can provide. Thank you.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

What kind of phone do you use?

What kind of SMS app do you use. I never had ANY issue with native SMS app. People do have issues fit apple stuff from time to time.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@bigdogbrown 

No problem at all. I am using an iPhone and my better half is using an Android phone.

What type of phone are you using?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@bigdogbrown , this is a strange behavior.  What plan are you on and what model of phone are you using?  I suspect there might be something to do with the messaging app.  

Need Help? Let's chat.